August 2000 Ageless herbal newsletter
One of our subscribers wrote to us this month to say that he enjoys the broad range of subjects that we discuss every month, although he was not particularly interested in some of them.
The reason why we discuss such varied topics is the fact that our lives are made up of a selection of different influences and experiences, which all adds up to the sum total of our experience in life, which also determines our health, happiness and effectiveness in having a great life.
The jojoba plant should not really be classified as an herb as such, but placing it in any other classification is also difficult. This slow growing plant has a lifespan of nearly a hundred years and its small beans yield its highly coveted oil.
This oil has been used in beauty and hair products for some time, and has been proven to be one of the best skin moisturizers and lubricants that can be found.
The oil is made up of liquid wax esters - which are what we also have on our skin naturally. Our skin waxy esters are known as sebum, and it is this natural oil that keeps our skin soft and young looking. As we age, our skin starts to produce less sebum and starts to look old.
This wonderful oil can assist with this "drying" up problem since it is extremely compatible to our own skin's natural sebum, yet it does not make the skin oily when used. In studies it was found that it could increase the skin's suppleness by 45%, and while working on softening and smoothing the skin, it also assists in fine line reduction.
But jojoba has another quality as well - people with oily skins produce excessive amounts of sebum, and here it helps to control the excessive excretion of natural sebum, as well as to assist in breaking down and cleaning up plugged up pores.
People with skin problems also benefit from this product since it does not "block" the pores nor does it cause anaerobic microbial growth, inflammation and redness, so often found with some other ingredients.
In studies it has also been found that some bacteria and fungi cannot grow in this product and that it is able to destroy certain bacteria - that is why so many people suffering from psoriasis use the pure oil for symptomatic relief of psoriases.
The hypoallergenic properties of it help to make it a great ingredient to use in a variety of skincare and hair care products.
1 lb tomatoes (450g); ˝ lb mozzarella (225g); sea salt and freshly ground black pepper; 3 tablespoons olive oil; 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar; 1 ˝ tablespoons chopped basil.
Skin the tomatoes and slice them thinly. Lay them on one half of a serving plate. Slice the cheese thinly and place on the other side of the same plate. Next, season the tomatoes with the salt and pepper - but the mozzarella with pepper only. Pour over the mixed vinegar and oil and scatter over the finely chopped basil.
Allow the salad to stand for at least 20 minutes and serve.
Depression is such a nebulous term, yet when you struggle with it, you cannot always see your way clear from the dark pit of impotent emotions and inability to live your life.
The symptoms of depression vary from person to person, and depending on the severity of the problem, can manifest in a selection of symptoms - such as: chronic fatigue, irritability, sleep disturbances, headaches, changes in appetite, restlessness, anxiety, loss of interest in life, anger, feeling of worthlessness, too emotional, too little or no emotions - the list just carries on and on.
Another side of depression is that you also stop taking care of what you look like or your level of grooming drops, and I have found that people that have been depressed for some time also seem to age quicker - maybe because grooming is then a very low priority and proper nutrition is also lacking.
When somebody is diagnosed with clinical depression, it is so easy to simply prescribe a mood enhancing anti-depressant tablet or capsule - and although they are very valuable tools in the right medical professional's hand, they can be over-subscribed and abused.
Patients can also be wrongly diagnosed and be placed on lithium therapy for manic depression for years, while manic depression was never the cause of the problem.
When the root of the depression is not sorted out, the medication can only act as a crutch, but will not sort out the problem, and while it does assist with the depression, it also impacts on the quality of your life.
The other down-side of chemical support is the varied side-effects that it has - hair loss, psychotic episodes, loss of sexual drive, impotency, tinnitus, drowsiness, dry mouth, weight gain or loss, heart palpitations, disorientation, confusion, fine hand tremors, excessive sedation, changes in blood sugar levels, violent behaviors, suicidal tendencies, etc.
Actively working on maintaining a positive mental attitude and proper nutrition can be a great way of assisting with depression and various other alternative remedies can be supportive in this time - aromatherapy for instance is a great mood enhancer and people also report great help from acupuncture as well as reflexology.
Body massage is also helpful in lifting the spirits while various other dietary elements are also used, such as vitamin B complex, nicotinic acid and St John's Wort.
St. John's Wort has been used extensively for years in Europe as an anti-depressant and mood-altering herb.
Although a lot of medical professionals will not openly support this humble herb, they do normally agree in private that it has a role to play in mental health and hygiene, although intake of this herb can cause sensitizing to light.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.