This graceful perennial is often referred to as the "fat burning herb" and is widely used for digestive problems. In appearance it very closely resembles dill, but has a very distinctive sweet anise smell.
Historically the Greeks saw fennel as a symbol of success and it is used today for a variety of problems - from cramps, indigestion, constipation, fevers, rheumatism, obesity as well as diabetes. Fennel seeds are used to clear toxins and poisons from the body.
A lotion made by boiling, and then cooling, 45 grams (3 tbsp) chopped fennel leaves to 1 liter (4 cups) water is great for bathing tired eyes, and a glass of the same mixture taken per day, is a good general tonic which is purported to help memory.
Chopped leaves, applied as a poultice, are sometimes used by traditional healers to assist with clearing up problematic wounds with a tendency to fester.
In helping to curb obesity, fennel is often successful when taken as an herbal tea, especially when used in combination with aniseed. This should be taken three times a day to help allay hunger.
Breast-feeding mothers could also consider having some fennel tea, since it is traditionally used to increase the flow of milk in lactating mothers.
The heart of fennel can be used as a vegetable, and is most appetizing when steamed and served with a white or cheese sauce.
For complete information on fennel and other herbs, please look at our herb index by clicking here.
- ¾ lb basic pie dough made with 2 cups flour and 1 egg yolk
- ¼ lb sorrel
- ¼ lb spinach
- 1 ½ cups parsley
- ¾ cup watercress
- ¼ cup chopped mixed herbs of tarragon, chervil, burnet and dill
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon mustard (Dijon)
- ½ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Line a flat pie pan with the pastry, weight down and bake for 10 minutes in a moderately hot oven (about 200 C / 400 F) and remove from oven. Brush the pastry all over with beaten egg yolk and place in oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool down.
Wash and drain the sorrel, spinach, parsley and watercress, place in pan with boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain excess water by pressing out the moisture with the back of a spoon or large fork. When cool enough to handle press out excess water with your fingers and add the mixed herbs.
Beat the eggs and add the cream, salt, pepper, mustard and the Parmesan cheese. Mix the egg/cream mixture into the herbs and mix well. Pour into the pastry shell and bake in a moderate oven (180 C/350 F) for about 30 minutes.
Who decides if we should be classified as overweight or obese - is it simply our over-critical self or is it rules imposed by society? Today we consider being ultra-skinny as the norm of perfection, whereas the rounded and curved figure was seen as most desirable some centuries ago.
But no matter how we would like to view the pro's and con's and what should be seen as carrying extra weight - one truth remains - carrying extra weight does carry a host of health problems and risks. Being too thin also has its down side, but as we grow older we tend to err on the side of carrying excess weight than being too slight.
Normal weight tables, also referred to as "standard weight tables" are great to look at, but they unfortunately have limitations, since they are normally to rigid to determine the optimum weight for a broad spectrum of society.
There is a selection of other ways to determine your ideal body weight and even the circumference of the wrist is used by some to determine body weight, since that is said to bring your type of body frame into the equation.
Weight by wrist circumference
The way in which the wrist circumference ideal weight is calculated works in metric terms as follows:
(2.54 cm = 1 inch / 2.2 pounds = 1 kg)
- Ideal weight = height - 100 +4x circumference of wrist divided by 2.
If you take an example height as 170 cm and circumference as 13 cm, then the formula would be as follows:
- 170 - 100 = 70
- +4 x 13 = 122
- 122 divided by 2 = 60 kg.
A far more popular way to determine your ideal weight is to refer to the BMI - the Body Mass Index.
Body mass index
Here you multiply your height by itself and then divide your weight with the result - in metric terms it would be as follows, when using the height example of 1.68m (168 cm) and the weight as 63 kg.
- 1.68 x 1.68 = 2.82
- 63 divided by 2.82 = 22.34
- The BMI in this example will then be 22.34
Where you fall within the BMI indicators should give you a fair idea of your body weight status in relation to your build.
Your weight is considered lower than the norm
Your weight is considered normal in Western society
You are considered moderately overweight
You are considered overweight.
Should you decide that you would like to lose some weight, please be sensible about it and do not take harmful diet pills or appetite suppressants.
Also have realistic expectations on what you can achieve - and what you can maintain.
Facial massage, and specially massage treatment around your eyes, can assist in draining excess fluids from around your eyes. Although massage can be most beneficial - it must be done correctly, with concentration and not be rushed through.
First clean your face well and then use a very light textured oil or cream as massage medium to prevent stretching or stressing this fragile skin. You might want to consider almond oil, since this oil is wonderfully emollient, without being heavy or
greasy. You can have a look at www.ageless.co.za/almondoil.htm
Another oil that you might want to consider is jojoba oil, but because of the high cost of pure jojoba oil, it might work out a bit expensive - you can read more at www.ageless.co.za/jojobaoil.htm
You could also look at massaging with plain aqueous cream, since it is very economical and is also great to work with.
When doing facial massage, please keep your touch SOFT and do not stretch the skin - it must be done gently.
If you have long hair, tie it away from your face before doing any facial massage to prevent the oil or cream getting into your hair.
When you are finished doing the massage, remove the oil from your eyes by gently washing the area with a very gentle cleanser, or remove the excess oil by blotting it with a tissue.
Make sure to remove excess oil or cream from the corners of your eyes, or else that in itself could cause your eyes to become baggy or swollen.
Massage # 1
Place the ring finger (because it is not too strong) of each hand into the inner corners of each eye (#1 on the sketch) and press down gently to the count of three seconds, relax and then slide the fingers gently underneath your eyes towards your temples (# 8 on the sketch). When reaching the temples, gently massage in a circular movement. Slide your fingers back gently to the inner corners of your eyes again and repeat seven times.
Massage # 2
Place the tip of your right hand middle finger gently where your nose starts (point # 2) and slide it up and down to the tip of your nose (point # 3) and back 10 times. Then, by using the fingertips of both the middle fingers, gently press towards your face on the point on your cheek and nostrils meet (point # 4). Release the pressure, and with small circular movements, softly massage all the way up to your temple, following the bone structure under your eyes - taking about 10 seconds to do so. Massage your temples for 5 seconds and then slide your fingers, going back the same way, back to the starting point and repeat the exercise 5 times.
More tips on how to fight baggy eyes can be found at www.ageless.co.za/baggyeyes.htm
If you are looking for a VERY affordable eye gel to assist you in fighting baggy or puffy eyes, please have a look at www.ageless.co.za/eyegel.htm
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.