2000 Ageless herbal newsletter
This herb has many different properties associated with it, and in the Middle Ages, the high-ranking women embroidered thyme on the clothes of the knights when they went off on Crusades, as a symbol of courage.
This strongly flavored herb is used in cooking (sparingly) and has medicinal properties, derived from the thymol component found in this herb. Thymol is a powerful antiseptic and has been used for this purpose for hundreds of years.
It was used in embalming by the Egyptians and as an oil for anointment by the ancient Greeks.
Today, thyme is used for abdominal cramps, diarrhea and heart conditions.
A cup of thyme tea, with honey, is also used to promote sleep and ease neuralgia, while an ointment made from it, is said to be effective for promoting a clear skin.
Please note, if you have a medical condition, kindly contact your medical practitioner.
Thyme can be grown in a dry sunny spot in light, well-drained soil.
For more info on herbs used in our products - please visit www.ageless.co.za/herbs.htm
With winter approaching it might be a good idea to stock up on some recipes that are easy to make, yet nutritious and filling. While we might still enjoy some summer days, it is interesting to note that this soup can also be served cold.
½ cup lentils (red or brown)
5 cups of stock - preferably chicken
1 small onion
1½ tablespoons olive oil
¼ pound spinach
freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups mixed herbs - sorrel, parsley, chervil, tarragon, lovage and lemon thyme
juice of 1 small lemon
2/3 cup unflavored yogurt
Wash the lentils and remove any impurities. Place in a pan with the stock and simmer for about 40 minutes.
Peel and chop onion and in a skillet sauté the onion until soft and golden - adding the crushed garlic at the end.
Wash the spinach, cut into fine pieces and add to the lentils and simmer the mixture for another 15 minutes - until the spinach is soft. Next add the onion and garlic to the lentil mixture as well as the finely chopped herbs.
Simmer the entire mixture for another 5 minutes, let it cool, and liquidize it while adding the lemon juice and yogurt. (The yogurt can also be substituted with buttermilk).
Serve immediately or very gently heat it again, without letting it boil.
Much has been said and written about herbal remedies and herbal teas in the last couple of years, and some companies have actually developed teas that are dangerous to people's health.
It is for this reason why the authorities have issued warnings concerning herbal and health teas.
It really is a sad state of affairs, as herbal infusion can be most effective if used properly and with due care. One point that we all need to remember when we talk about "natural" ingredients, is that they are not all safe. Another is to refer any medical problems to your licensed medical practitioner for professional medical advice.
To come back to things natural - hemlock and nightshade are natural - but are deadly. Always treat herbal products with great care, as some of them can be potentially hazardous to your health if not used properly.
The problem in today's society is that nobody wishes to take responsibility for their own actions, and we have become a society that blames any and all mistakes on other people. If you are told to only take a certain treatment in "ABC" fashion, then you really should stick to that, since "ABC" x 2 might not be what is called for.
This goes for herbal teas and infusions as well.
Only use the product if you are 100% sure that it is really the herb in question, and if in doubt, rather err on the side of safety.
- If you are ill, please consult a medical doctor.
- Do not continuously drink the same type of infusion - take it for 10 days and then skip 5 days.
- Only have one cup of herbal infusion per day, except during acute periods - such as when you have a cold or flu.
- If you have more than one cup a day during the acute phase, do not take it for more than 4 days.
When you use herbal remedies, be aware that they can be extremely powerful, and should you have any side effects when taking these infusions, immediately consult a medical professional.
The standard way to make an infusion, is to pour a cup of boiling water over the material to be infused, let it stand for 5 minutes, strain it, and drink it.
- When using fresh plant material a 1/4 cup of the fresh material is used in the above way.
- When using dried material use 2 teaspoons of dried material when making.
- When using bark or seeds, use 2 teaspoons of seeds or 1 tablespoon of bark.
You could sweeten your health drink with honey, should you so require, or a dash of fresh lemon juice can also enhance the taste.
We have created a reference page where ailments are listed, with links to the corresponding herbs that will help with the particular a problem.
You can ascertain which
herbs are helpful with which ailment on this
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.