October 2001 Ageless herbal newsletter
We are always so busy making a living, and are stressed out in our daily running around, that we very seldom reflect on the things that aggravate us, and the things we take for granted.
Large delivery trucks are the bane of most drivers, yet without them, we would not have the convenience of walking into a store and picking up what we require.
When a car skips a red light, or cuts in front of you on the highway next time, think carefully if you have ever done it, unintentionally or maybe when you were in a huge rush - so instead of road rage, rather think of the driving faults that you may have.
When somebody is serving you in a shop or office, acknowledge their humanity as well - they might have problems of their own, but still have a cheery disposition when serving you - or if they are in a bad mood, think of what their problem might be - that way you will not upset yourself by their bad manners.
The golden rule is always to try and walk in somebody else's shoes, and to see if you would be walking the same way if it were your ordained route.
We have websites that promote herbal and natural supplements and grooming products, and have had several requests from readers regarding local legend that states "if it is natural/herbal it must be good/safe".
For a start, this is a complete misconception - herbs can be dangerous. Natural as well as herbal ingredients can be
extremely dangerous if formulated wrongly or used incorrectly - the same as when synthetic and chemical products are misused.
We personally prefer natural products, since we have found that they work best for us, and although some learned people might contend that there is no difference between natural and synthetic products, we do tend to disagree.
We need to look closely at the philosophy on which any product is formulated. In
Western allopathic medicine (normal Western medicine) things are formulated in general to attend to the problem, whereas alternative medicine, and the greatest proponents of natural products, rather look at helping to sort out the cause of the problem.
What I am saying is that the quest should not be for "natural" products as such, but products
formulated to be in harmony with the
body, and should not contain chemicals that are harmful to us or our environment.
A good example that I can give are products used in slimming -
highly scheduled medicines are prescribed to help lose weight, but the side effects of these medications in most cases outweigh any benefits you may reap from them.
Side effects of the most popular medicine scripts given for weight loss include:
reactions, tremors, agitation,
dependency, urine retention, angina pain, convulsions, glaucoma etc.
Should a person wish to follow a more natural way of losing
weight, it might take a bit longer, but in general a more "natural" way to help lose weight will not have the same side effects as listed above.
In this instance, a person could rather rely on apple cider vinegar (liquid or in capsule form) to lose weight, or a product like Millenium 2000 - which contain only natural ingredients, and which will work more in harmony with your body.
But we as consumers are also partly to blame, since we are the ones that demand products that work instantaneously. We want a
quick fix for most ills, and unfortunately, alternative and more natural products do not work that way, since they work far more gently with the body to achieve results.
But returning to things natural, if we look at Belladonna, we will find that it is a plant and it grows quite naturally, yet it can kill you within a couple of minutes.
Certain herbs can also help to heal
you, yet they can also do great damage if not used in the prescribed manner. A point in case is the herb "boneset". It can be used with great effect to help a variety of problems, yet long-term use can cause toxicity and a host of problems.
When you wish to use herbs in alternative healing it is best to make a proper study of what you want to use, as certain parts of specific plants may be toxic, while other parts of the same plant can be most useful.
An example of this is "elder". The berries, inner bark, leaves and flowers are used to cleanse the system, ease constipation, enhance the immune system etc. but the stems contain cyanide, which is extremely toxic.
Essential oils are also very powerful instruments in alternative healing when used correctly, but care should be taken with them, as incorrect use can cause problems. An example of this is that pure arnica oil can be toxic if used on the skin.
Another strange phenomena is that the learned people are for ever telling us that skincare products cannot do much good, since ingredients cannot be absorbed by the skin, yet there are long restrictive acts and rules banning certain ingredients from skincare products, since they are absorbed through the skin.
When you are ever in doubt whether the skin absorbs externally applied
ingredients, place a small drop of pure garlic oil on your foot, and see how long it takes for you to taste the garlic in your mouth.
When we start looking at grooming products we are most of the time bombarded with the term "natural" on the packaging to make it more appealing to all of us that are trying to live a more natural life.
The unfortunate part of this is that a huge amount of large businesses have latched on to this and are producing the same old product, yet the marketing has just shifted to promote it as a natural product.
But the whole concept of natural products must also be seen in context. If you produce a good facial cream you need to ensure that it will not be contaminated by external factors (including dirty fingers scooping out the cream) and that it will have a fair shelf life.
This can be done in various ways and the type of preservative used is also important. You can for instance help preserve it with
vitamin E, which will be listed as alpha-tocopherol, since the USA government has decided that a vitamin must be listed by its chemical name, otherwise it might infer to customers that it contains some health qualities.
What is more important is that we keep everything in life in perspective and balance. With the accent on balance, since some people like to take all things out of context. If you are told to take a certain amount of tablets/pills for an ailment, or to help with your general health, keep to the prescribed dosage as a drastic increase of the dosage could have negative effects on your health.
If you look at bodybuilding supplements, you will find that creatine is used to help increase lean body mass, and used in moderation it may be of great help, yet if you start overloading your body with this particular nutrient, although it is of natural origin, you may pick up problems with your kidneys.
Another much talked about ingredient is human growth hormone (HGH), since it seems to be the panacea for eternal good looks and a good trim body.
The problem with pure injectable growth hormones is that they can have some very severe, scary and
irreversible side effects if not taken under medical supervision. Yet, you can "trick" your pituitary gland into naturally manufacturing more of this hormone by addition of certain amino acids.
So - do not be fooled simply because a product is labeled as natural - rather use plain common sense to determine if a product will be good for you.
Do not be scared of being branded as foolish when you contact a manufacturer about his product - it is your right to know about the things you ingest and rub on your skin, since it is your health that you are working with.
In closing - remember the more the product works with your body to achieve the desired effect the better. Strong synthetic ingredients might tell your body what to do, but your body may just reply by having a whole selection of side effects. And when you use
alternative products, give these miracles of nature a chance to
work their magic in their own good time.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.