2002 Ageless herbal newsletter
Is the quest to look good vain, or is it natural when done in context?
In the past we have received mail from readers regarding the fact that we promote "looking good" and they felt that looking good and being attractive is counter-productive to their religion and is the maxim of vanity.
Just to place this in context - we do not promote the idea that physical beauty is more important than building on your inner
beauty or soul, and being a good person - but your external looks unfortunately are also of importance in our modern day life.
Modern day society demands that we look our
best. Surveys and studies have shown that good looking beautiful people normally
more success - have better jobs and are
paid more than their less attractive counterparts.
After we have calmed down and worked through the morals of these statistics, we may want to have a look at this phenomenon in another perspective.
Good-looking people are naturally more confident than less attractive people, not because they are simply
more attractive, but because we as a society have empowered them to be more confident since they were young.
If you take a less attractive person, and bolster them with real confidence over a period of time, would they also then result in having a better job and pay?
I personally think that the answer would be yes - since I do not think that it is the
physical beauty alone that people find appealing and
attractive, but the sure-footedness that comes from having enough confidence to run your life.
Have you ever met a person that is not stunningly beautiful nor drop-dead
gorgeous, yet through their confident manner and sparkling personality come across as far more attractive than what they really are.
This is where good grooming can give a person that extra
boost, since self-confidence increases when you are assured of the fact that you are
looking the best you possibly can, and that every snag and chip has been polished away and you can show the world that you have enough self esteem to see your
personal grooming and looks as important.
So, our premise would be that if you take a moderately less attractive, or very normal looking person, and you make sure that they process real deep seated confidence and make sure that their physical and physiological grooming is faultless, they will go through a
metamorphosis like the duckling to the
There are many different alternative and complementary therapies out there - from
herbal remedies to crystals and iridology to spiritual healing, but one of our all time favorites is aromatherapy and the use of essential oils.
Although essential oils are used medicinally in France, they should never be taken internally unless so prescribed by a medical practitioner who is suitably qualified to prescribe them.
Essential oils are used for more than simply massage and beauty products, and can be found in food, toothpaste, beverages etc. Certain
anti-aging salons and clinics make extensive use of essential oils in their therapies and more and more skin treatment ranges are turning to the
power of essential oils to assist in achieving the best looking skin.
The extracted oils from botanical materials have been used for centuries in a variety of ways, and modern aromatherapy is gaining huge popularity since this gentle way of helping the body cope and recuperate is not only pleasurable but also stimulates the senses in different ways.
Essential oils are extracted from botanical materials in a variety of ways, but the misconception still remains that "cold pressing" all
essential oils is the best. This simply is not true as such, as the type of plant material/flower used will determine the best extraction method.
The limbic system, one of the prehistoric systems that we carry around in our brain, is extremely sensitive to smell and can trigger a variety of responses in the body and mind.
Although essential oils are natural and wonderful to use in the various ways, care must be taken to stick to the
safety precautions, since they are extremely concentrated, and also be careful when
buying essential oils that they are from a reputable company.
Pure essential oils are not cheap, and should be purchased only in colored glass bottles, fitted with a dropper mechanism, since light accelerates the deterioration of essential oils and the dropper mechanism is required to measure the amounts accurately.
Certain essential oils, like the citrus family, should not be used in aromatherapy massage if older than 6 months, but can still be used in fragrance therapy.
Most essential oils, except lavender and tea tree oil to a certain extent, should never be used neat on the skin, and it is also advisable to perform a skin sensitivity test before using an unknown oil on your skin, since some people have reactions to certain oils.
Essential oils are blended with vegetable carrier oils to the desired dilution, to help spread the active molecules, and to help prevent any
skin irritation. Care must be taken not to dilute essential oils in a mineral oil base, as it will effectively negate the beneficial effects of the essential oils.
Some oils, like bergamot, should also not be used prior to going out in the sun, since it can cause photosensitivity, while others should be avoided during pregnancy or when suffering from epilepsy or hypertension.
It is however interesting to note that although some essential oils are contra-indicated for epilepsy, recent research in the UK has yielded great results in the treatment of epilepsy by using essential oils and aromatherapy.
Essential oils can be used in the bath, in room vaporizing, steam inhalation, blended in a massage oil for massage,
blended in facial creams, hair lotions, shampoos and in most personal grooming products.
The rate of dilution when using essential oils is important, and massage oils normally use a 2% strength, while some oils mixed for specific problems can be increased to 4 to 5% depending on what oils are used, and what results are being sought.
In using essential oils it is important to keep in mind that the oils are used for their therapeutic properties, as much as for their smell, and that the
smell of the essential oil may in some cases vary a bit from the actual flower or herb.
There are literally hundreds of essential oils, and although some are not indicated for use in aromatherapy, there are a great selection of oils to choose from, each with its individual fragrance, profile, personality and active ingredients, which falls way out of the scope of this article to discuss in detail.
If you want to have a look at specific essential
oils, we can recommend that you have a look at our one sister site: www.essentialoils.co.za and to have a look at their extensive index on essential oils please go to www.essentialoils.co.za/essential_oils/index.htm.
Although the use of essential oils has been used successfully to help treat a variety of
problems and ailments, it should be seen as an alternative and complementary health system, and should not be used in lieu of normal medicine.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.