2003 Ageless herbal newsletter
Although writing about skincare may sound like re-stating the obvious to some, there are still people that do not know how to look after their
A skin is a skin is a skin - no matter what age, ethnic background or gender - you need to look after it properly every day to keep
wrinkles and the ravages of age at bay.
When we talk about every day, we mean each and every day - no matter what your circumstances or schedule. Even if you get back home very late (or early for that matter) from an evening out, you still need to do your routine, since it is continuous
good skincare which results in a radiant looking
Wash, tone and moisturize is the maxim on which good skincare rests, and although individual products and applications may vary, it will be around these three things, that will decide the way your skin looks.
Normal soap is not a good idea for cleaning your
face, since it is too harsh in most cases, and will strip your skin of its protective acid mantle, which helps to maintain the integrity of your skin.
It is better to look for a cleanser that is formulated specially for your skin - I personally find
cleansing creams too heavy to use and prefer to use a
liquid facial cleanser.
Some cleansers do not need to be followed with a toner, since they are formulated in such a way that your skin will be cleansed and toned at the same time - but check for this when purchasing a product, as you may need to get an individual toner as well.
The surface of our skin, the stratum corneum (horny layer), is the first line of defense for your skin, keeping bacteria and viruses at bay. The horny layer is acid by nature and is normally referred to as the
acid mantle. This acid mantle plays a significant role in warding off the advances of micro organisms and it is therefore important to maintain the integrity of the acid mantle.
Toners are specially formulated to assist in restoring the integrity of the acid mantle, while it
cools, calms, refreshes and removes the last traces of any pollutants or make-up from the skin. It is better to get an
alcohol-free toner, since alcohol, whilst it makes your skin feel very cool, is a very drying ingredient.
Moisturizers are needed by everybody - even if you stay in cooler climates, as your skin will then be subjected to central heating.
Teenagers with skin problems also need moisturizers - they do not need an oily compound, but could do with a
moisturizing gel that moisturizes whilst helping to clear up the problem.
People with oily skins need lighter types of moisturizers while fair skinned, blond and blue eyed people generally need more "feeding" moisturizers since they are prone to
Men, if they want to admit it or not, also need moisturizers, since they are equally vulnerable to the
drying effects of the environment and
aging. Modern day standards also dictate that the man must look groomed and presentable and the
craggy worn look of decades ago has been replaced by the man equally looking to
keep aging at bay.
Whilst talking about male skincare it is interesting to note that some dermatologists advise to
rather shave using a mild soap and a wet razor, instead of commercial shaving foam or an electric
razor. (This should then be followed by using a facial cleanser when finished to remove all traces of the soap.)
The logic behind this is that it takes extra time to wet, lather and rinse the skin. This should be done at least twice, before starting to shave, with a sharp
razor. This will give the beard time to absorb water and to soften, for easier shaving and causing less stress to your skin.
If you have a very hard beard, or if you are prone to
ingrown hair, it would be better to repeat this action three times before shaving, to really help get your beard soft.
Countless people have tried this method and while some still reported highly sensitive skin in the beginning, it did disappear after a while.
So if you are tired of shaving with an electric razor, or if you wish for a smoother razor shave, then try this method - if it doesn't work out for you, you can always go back to your previous way of shaving.
An encyclopedia can be written about skincare, but we thought that it would be a good idea just to make you aware once again that good skincare is not a once-in-a-while happening, but consists of a daily routine closely followed each and every day. ( More skincare tips are available at www.ageless.co.za/skincare.htm)
Lavender is an evergreen woody shrub about 1 meter high (3 feet), with gray-green narrow linear leaves and the most beautiful purple-blue flowers perched on a long stem. A few varieties of
Lavenders grow wild in the Mediterranean region, but the main producer is France.
The name Lavender is derived from the Latin word 'lavera' to wash. The Romans used Lavender frequently in their bath routine, and it is said to have been introduced by them into England, where it soon was a firm favorite.
Lavender was a favorite for strewing on the floor since it released an aroma when walked upon. It is used in toilet water, as an insecticide when placed between linen (keeping bugs at bay) and to clean wounds.
Lavender oil has a soothing and calming effect on the nerves, relieving tension, depression, panic, hysteria and nervous exhaustion in general. It is effective for
headaches, migraines and insomnia and beneficial for problems such as: bronchitis, asthma, colds, laryngitis, halitosis, throat infections and whooping cough.
This oil relieves pain when used for rheumatism, arthritis, lumbago and muscular aches and pains, especially those associated with sport. It tones the skin and is useful for all types of
skin problems: abscesses, acne, oily skin, boils, burns, sunburn, wounds, psoriasis, lice, insect bites, stings and as an insect repellent.
Lavender is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat on the
skin, and this is especially useful when treating a minor burn
wound. It must however be used with extreme caution and in very small amounts.
In vapor therapy Lavender oil can be useful for: allergies, anorexia, dizziness, sleeplessness (also in children),
hay fever, headaches, depression, trauma, anxiety, hysteria, fear, nightmares, irritability, nervous tension and as an insect repellant.
Lavender oil can be used as a massage oil or diluted in the bath for: abdominal pains, allergies, anorexia, arthritis, bowel disorders, fatigue, hay fever, headaches, insomnia, moodiness, trauma, anxiety, depression, hysteria, nightmares, fear, irritability, nervous tension, stress and for relaxing.
Although Lavender is considered one of the safest essential
oils, you should discontinue use if you have any allergic reactions. ( For more information please visit www.essentialoils.co.za/essential_oils/lavender.htm)
This is a Brazilian herb, also referred to as murapuama,
and is mostly known for its effective help with
erectile dysfunction and increasing libido and as an
aphrodisiac - but is also an excellent tonic for increasing general well-being and
Muira puama grows up to 5 meters in height and produces pungent flowers with a jasmine-like fragrance.
The indigenous tribes in Brazil have used the roots and bark internally as a tea for its aphrodisiac properties, for treating
sexual debility and erectile
dysfunction, nervous system disorders, neuralgia, baldness, impotency, gastrointestinal disorders, neuromuscular problems and rheumatism.
Murapuama has been used as a herb in Europe for some time and is listed in the British Herbal Pharmacopoeia, a source on herbal medicine from the British Herbal Medicine Association, and is recommended for the treatment of dysentery and
It is from the Olacaceae family, and the genus is Ptychopetalum (species olacoides) and is also known as Muira Puama, Marapuama, Marapama, Potency Wood and Potenzholz. The bark and roots are used in herbal treatments.
Although many people are skeptical about sexual stimulants or "herbal Viagra's" as such, the Muira puama herb has been shown by Dr. Jacques Waynberg, a world authority on sexual functioning, of the Institute of
Sexology in Paris, France, that it is effective in assisting in
increasing sexual desire as well as attaining and
maintaining an erection.
The action of the Muira puama herb is not fully understood but it seems to assist with both the psychological as well as the physical aspect of
The active constituents are free long-chain fatty acids, sterols, coumarin, alkaloids and essential oils. Chemically, it contains .05% muirapuamine, .4% fat, .5% alkaloids, .6% pholbaphene, .6% alpha-resinic acid, .7% beta resinic acid, .5% of a mixture of esters including behenic acid, lupeol and beta-sitosterol, as well as tannin, volatile oils and fatty acids.
Muira puama is considered a safe herb, whereas another herbal sexual stimulant called
yohimbine can induce anxiety, panic attacks, and hallucinations in some individuals, as well as elevated blood pressure, high heart rate, dizziness, headaches, and skin flushing.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.