2003 Ageless herbal newsletter
Phytosterols, obtained from edible plants, have been used for centuries in treating and
preventing various diseases.
In Africa, the African Wild Potato, (Afrika patat, "Hypoxis"), a bitter tasting plant, was used to start research on the qualities exhibited by phytochemicals. The African Wild Potato has been used as a herbal treatment by traditional healers for centuries, where the plant is boiled up as a tea.
These plant sterols and sterolins (phytochemicals) are known as beta sitosterol, campesterol and stigmasterol. These compounds can be effectively extracted as a dietary supplement, at a relatively low cost.
Although these vitamin-like compounds occur naturally in vegetables, many of us do not consume a diet that includes a variety of fresh vegetables on a daily basis: it therefore makes good sense to supplement our diets with Phytosterols to improve our health and overall sense of wellbeing.
Phytosterols (sterols and sterolins) are found to be beneficial in treating many conditions, such as
improving the immune system and helping in the
fight against arthritis, cancer,
diabetes, and high cholesterol amongst others.
- Immune System Boost
- Many people suffering from AIDS and other immune system problems find that Phytosterols help boost their resistance, as it seems that Phytosterols assist the T-cells in building up the body's defenses against immune system diseases.
- High Cholesterol
- Plant Sterols have been found beneficial in treating high cholesterol, as they compete for absorption sites with cholesterol (an animal sterol), thus reducing the amount of cholesterol absorbed.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis have reported greater mobility, less pain and less infection.
- Cancer patients have also reported benefits when taking plant sterols and sterolins since it seems that these phytochemicals help in containing the spread of cancer in the body. It has been reported that plant sterols are known to increase the production of enzymes that help the body dispose of potentially harmful carcinogenic substances Please note: this is not to be taken as a claim for a cure for cancer, but merely a statement of what patients found when using phytochemicals.
- Some studies have shown that plant sterols are potentially beneficial in treating infections caused by fungi and bacteria and may be useful in treating tumors of the colon.
No large studies have been done to substantiate some of the above anecdotal claims made by users of phytosterols, although small studies have had promising reactions in South Africa and Germany.
Fighting cellulite needs more than just simple massage, since massaging alone will not sort out the problem. To effectively get rid of this problem, you need to fight it on many different areas to regain your smooth curves.
A lot of people suffer from cellulite, a toxic build-up, manifested in orange peel skin and cottage cheese thighs. You don't even need to be overweight or fat to have cellulite. Thin and slender people suffer as much from cellulite as their overweight, fat or obese cousins.
No matter how perfect or sexy your body - cellulite is ugly and does not help the collagen, elastin, connective tissues or adipocytes in your body. The main remedy for fighting cellulite is to detoxify the body.
Getting rid of and fighting cellulite can be easy, but needs dedication and consistent work. Cellulite is mainly caused by a toxin build-up in your body. It is different from fat. Fat is smooth when pushed together, while cellulite forms a dimple effect - causing "orange peel skin "and " cottage cheese thighs".
Miracle cures are offered from many sources, but unfortunately there is no magic bullet - it does take consistent work and detoxification to get rid of cellulite. Detoxifying the body is vital when starting anti-cellulite treatment and therapy.
When detoxifying the body, all the toxins must be removed to enable the body to once again function properly.
Regular fat can be found anywhere on the body, while cellulite tends to settle on the following areas: Inner, upper and back of thighs; Upper back below the shoulders; Ankles; Inside and back of upper arms; Buttocks; Lower back; Hips; and Stomach. Where cellulite is present you may also experience further problems with broken blood vessels and/or varicose veins.
To ascertain if you have cellulite press tissue between your thumb and finger, or between the palms of your hands, if it is normal fat, it will appear smooth, with no ripples or bumps, but if you have any ripples or bumps, which look like orange peel, you have cellulite. The cellulite tissue is also sensitive.
- How cellulite is it formed
- All muscles in the body are covered with a padding of fatty, connective tissue, which varies in thickness, and is surrounded by a liquid, supplying this 'covering' with nourishment and removing waste products. There are some medical practitioners that do not believe in the term 'cellulite', but there are others that do subscribe to the term and the condition.
- This fatty tissue is held in place by a network of fibers, and when the system works well, ALL waste products are removed from this system, resulting in smooth body curves. When the waste removal system start to fail, waste products start building up, and the connective tissue becomes saturated with liquid, which then thickens and hardens, forming hard pockets that puff up to produce the 'orange peel' or 'cottage cheese' effect.
- Contributing factors in causing cellulite
- Insufficient water intake
- No exercise
- Constipation and digestion problems
- Tension and stress
- Pollution and incorrect breathing
- Poor eating habits
- Estrogen when secreted before each menstrual cycle as estrogen tends to retain water
- Intoxication of the system
- crash diets
- fat and cream
- fried and oily food
- medication such as diet, pep or sleeping pills as well as diuretic pills
- Cellulite appears from around the age of 14, but can happen at any age, and although cellulite is not hereditary, you might be more prone to cellulite because of acquired bad habits from your parents.
- Cellulite sometimes happens after pregnancy, (or being on birth control pills) when the system is flooded with estrogen, or after a traumatic experience, since it interferes with blood circulation, or it can be simple toxin build-up, as listed above. Although largely a feminine problem, men can also have cellulite on their stomach and neck areas.
- Different types of cellulite
- Hard or solid cellulite can sometimes be difficult to identify right away, as it sticks to the muscle structure, and does not lift away very easily. This type is very common on active people, such as dancers.
- Soft cellulite is not as concentrated as hard cellulite but occupies large areas, is looser and more noticeable as it hangs and sags. Soft cellulite is less firm than hard cellulite, but soft cellulite results in poor muscle tone, and the skin dilates easily.
- How to fight cellulite
- In order to fight cellulite effectively a person must combine all the factors below:
- Following a purifying diet and avoid toxic build-up foods.
- Proper deep breathing facilitates oxygenation of the blood and purification of the body.
- Doing exercise stimulates circulation and speeds up the metabolism, and improves muscle tone and firming of tissue.
- Proper elimination of waste
- The skin, (the largest organ) kidneys and intestines must effectively get rid of toxins. Kidneys can be aided by increasing fluid intake and thereby increasing volume of urine, while proper working intestines will prevent constipation. The skin should be boosted by sweating and perspiration to assist in elimination of wastes.
- In order to get the entire body working correctly, stress must be reduced - body as well as mind must be in sync.
- With massage, the cellulite areas are targeted to stimulate circulation, especially for areas not very well worked with exercise, such as the inside of the knee and upper thigh.
- It is a further boon if the massage is done with a product such as our Herbal Cellulite Gel, which contains active ingredients to assist in getting rid of the cellulite. Although the active ingredients will assist with the fight against cellulite, because of the exclusive mix of ingredients, it is mild enough, because of the herbal nature, not to cause any discomfort. To have a look at our Herbal Cellulite gel, please visit www.ageless.co.za/contouri.htm
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.