2004 Ageless herbal newsletter
To play around at blending essential oils, to make your own unique mix can be most rewarding an great fun! It is commonly believed that a person has to be highly skilled to work with
essential oils, but this is not the case, provided of course that the correct amount of
each essential oil is blended, and certain safety precautions are obeyed.
Various results may be achieved by mixing essential oils with one another, and the correct blend may
calm, relax, invigorate, or
Essential oil blends have been known for their therapeutic benefits since ancient times, and Hippocrates, the said founder of modern allopathic medicine, prescribed an
essential oil massage for his patients in ancient Greece.
Essential oils and essential oil blends are used to promote a specific mood in the home or workplace, or even at a meeting or gathering, and have also been used to promote a specific theme at a party. Essential oils have a very beneficial use in romantic situations, and the blending of essential oils form the base of almost all perfumes and fragrances.
A certain kind of synergy is created when different essential oils are blended
together, since you may wish to add some therapeutic properties of one oil to another when putting together a massage oil or creating your own essential oil cream or your own
homemade fragrance. This is then basically the Gestalt theory at work, where the sums of the individual items are larger than the individuals on their own.
Although you may be looking at blending therapeutic
oils, it is important to note that the fragrance achieved should be balanced and
pleasing to the nose. This is where "fragrance notes" come into play.
A Frenchman called Piesse classified essential oils according to
musical scales in the 19th century, referring to essential oils as having a "top", "middle" or "base"
note or smell.
According to these "rules" a well-rounded fragrance is achieved by following the formula below:
- Top notes 15 - 25% of the blend.
- Middle notes 30 - 40% of the blend.
- Base notes 45 - 55% of the blend.
For example - you would use 4 drops of Geranium (middle note) with 3 drops of
Eucalyptus (top note) and 5 drops of
Ylang Ylang (base note).
Even with such "rules of blending" being bandied around, the most important factor to keep in mind is that you, or the person on
which the oil blend is going to be used, likes it.
If for instance you wish to create massage oil in the winter, you may want to add peppermint to the blend, but since peppermint is cooling oil, you would need to balance it with other oils, such as ginger and sandalwood.
A good blend is normally compiled by mixing oils from all three classes - that being top notes, middle notes and base notes.
It is however very important that you are happy with the aroma and
fragrance of the blended oils, since it has to be pleasing to your senses to achieve the maximum effect.
A suitable carrier or base oil (such as grape seed, macadamia nut, hazelnut, jojoba oil etc) should be selected, as essential oils are too strong to be used undiluted on the skin and your choice of essential oil or oils should be mixed into the carrier oil.
The amount of essentials oil to a carrier oil varies according to the age of the person being massaged, as well as the sensitivity of their skin, for example:
- 5 drops essential oil/s to 20 ml carrier oil for
- people 65 years old or older
- 11 drops of essential oil/s to 20 ml carrier oil for
- people aged 12 to 64 years
- 7 drops of essential oil/s to 20 ml carrier oil for
- people aged 6 to 11 years
- 5 drops of essential oil/s to 20 ml carrier oil for
- people aged 4 to 10 years
- 1 drop essential oil/s to 20 ml carrier oil for
- people aged 1 to 3 years, or for pregnant women
It is recommended that you do not add more than 7 drops of essential oil/s to your
bath, but this rule also depends on the sensitivity of your skin. If you think that your skin is sensitive, rather mix the essential oil with a carrier oil before adding it to your bath, and do a
skin patch test by applying a small amount to a sensitive area of your skin - to check for any negative reaction.
For children between 4 and 6 years of age, as well as for elderly persons, it is best to only add up to 4 drops of essential oil to a bath of water, and for children under 1 year and if you are pregnant, only 1 drop.
Select an un-perfumed cream or lotion, such as aqueous cream, for a base for the oils. This type of cream can be bought from your chemist / pharmacy.
The total percentage of essential oil/s to the cream/lotion should not exceed 2%. The oil/s should be mixed well into the cream/lotion.
To check for allergic reactions, we do suggest that you do a skin patch test before using the cream/lotion liberally.
Essential oils are very powerful compounds, and safety measures should be kept in mind when having them around the house:
When creating your own blend of essential oils, ensure that you take the therapeutic properties of the various oils into account. Create a pleasing aroma by balancing the fragrances through using the "top". "middle" and "base" notes of the various oils. Keep safety instructions and dilution percentages in mind. Above all, have fun!
Goldenseal is also known as Yellow root, Indian turmeric, eye root, eye balm and poor man's ginseng, amongst many other names.
The use of this powerful antibiotic herb is reported to have originated amongst the Native Americans of the north-eastern United States, who pulverized the roots of the plant and used the resulting sap as a yellow dye. They are also reported to have used the pulverized rhizomes, roots and the sap to
treat wounds, sore throats and problems with the digestive tract.
In the 19th century, the founder of Thomsonian herbal
medicine, Samuel Thomson, used the herb as an
anti-septic. He also noticed that the scars left on the stem of the plant by annual stems resemble letter or envelope seals, and decided to name the plant goldenseal.
Goldenseal is currently a favorite of homeopaths, as the plant contains berberine and hydrastine
alkaloids, (the berberine gives the plant its rich golden color) and they find its use beneficial in fighting infectious diarrhea and yeast infections.
These treatments have been scientifically corroborated in studies of the bacteria found to cause diarrhea, using control groups. It was found that the berberine in goldenseal kills many of the
bacteria that cause diarrhea and even
It was also found that berberine boosts the immune
system, by stimulating macrophages, the white blood cells that destroy disease causing organisms. These studies are of great interest amongst researchers fighting
HIV and AIDS, and it has been recommended that people who are HIV positive include a form of berberine in their diet.
It is interesting to note that some naturopaths claim that goldenseal is effective in
restoring liver function in people with alcoholism and that many people report that goldenseal helps with urinary tract infections,
sinus problems and that it promotes healing of mouth ulcers and cold sores.
Numerous cell culture studies have found that goldenseal helps to destroy tumor cells and there is hope that the use of the herb may serve as a
complementary therapy to
Other compounds found in goldenseal are albumin, b-complex vitamins, biotin, calcium, candine, chlorine, choline, chologenic acid, inositol, iron, lignin, manganese, PABA, phosphorus, potassium and vitamin A, C, & E.
- The excessive intake of this herb may lead to diarrhea, breathing problems, and may irritate mucous membranes.
People who are on anti-coagulant medicine, suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes or glaucoma should not use goldenseal. Use by pregnant women is also not recommended and people who suffer from Lupus or multiple sclerosis should also not use this herb.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.