2004 Ageless herbal newsletter
This rather basic plant is one of nature's wonders that soothes, protects and rejuvenates skin and helps to heal wounds.
It is classified under the botanic family Aloeaceae, the genus being Aloe and the specie vera.
Aloe vera is also known as Cape, Barbados, Curaiao, Socotrine or
Zanzibar aloe, looks very much like a type of cactus plant, but is actually a member of the lily family, which includes the garlic and onion plant.
The plant is found in tropical and desert regions throughout the world, and the easily recognizable large, fleshy, spiny and succulent leaves are popular for their many medicinal properties.
The sap of the leaves has medicinal properties and is bitter and shiny (the word Aloe is derived from an Arabic word which means "bitter and shiny").
The sap has an almost neutral pH value and contains amino acids, vitamins and minerals that make it ideal for
soothing skin inflammations.
Most of the proof substantiating the healing power of Aloe was anecdotal, until 1943, when a doctor who was working with burn victims "discovered" that Aloe Vera gel was an astonishingly
effective treatment for burn
He found that applying Aloe Vera to burns lessened the pain and seemed to
reduce scarring. He reported his findings in various medical journals, and other researchers started to investigate the matter.
Today, we know a lot more about the chemical make-up of Aloe Vera and its various healing properties due to this research as well as further studies conducted.
Aloe Vera was first mentioned in the Egyptian "Ebers" papyrus at around about 1552 BC and legend has it that the beautiful Egyptian queen, Cleopatra, attributed her beauty to the
use of Aloe Vera.
Aloe vera is said to have caused a war! When Alexander the Great conquered Egypt in 332 BC, he heard of the amazing healing properties of the plant, then found on the island of Socotra, off the coast of Somalia. He promptly sent his army off to conquer the island of Socotra and thereby secured a supply of Aloe
vera for his troops.
It is reported that Aloe vera has been used medicinally in Ancient Greece, since the 4th century, and Dioscorides, a noted physician, described the use of Aloe
vera in "De Materia Medica"(AD70).
Documents from the 10th century show use of Aloe vera in Anglo Saxon medicine, and the earliest reference of the use of the herb in Chinese medicine dates from the 11th century.
Aloe vera gel is squeezed from the leaf, and may be used as a natural
bandage for small cuts and
abrasions, as it seals the wound, promotes healing and helps to
Many people report that smoothing Aloe Vera gel on sun burnt skin also provides great pain relief and is beneficial to healing and
soothing irritated skin.
Aloe vera is used internally for its antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, diuretic and colic properties, and the cells on the leafs inner skin are extracted for use as a very powerful laxative.
Aloe Vera is an ingredient of many of our topical skin care products, and to view our product catalogue, please
- For more information about aloe vera, please visit the aloe vera page in our herbal index, by clicking here.
Lemongrass essential oil is extracted from the West Indian, Madagascar or Guatemala Lemongrass plant (Poaceae family of the Cymbopogon genus - specie flexuosus), which is a fast growing, tall, aromatic and perennial grass which grows up to 1.5 meters in length.
The plant grows wild in India and produces a network of roots that quickly exhausts the soil. The leaves are long and thin, and bend and fall towards the ground in a disheveled manner, giving the plant an untidy appearance.
The essential oil is distilled from fresh or partly dried Lemongrass leaves using steam distillation.
Lemongrass is employed in traditional Indian (Ayurvedic) medicine to
treat infectious illnesses and fever and is known as "Choomana poolu", Indian Verbena or Indian Melissa
oil. The leaves also play an important part in Indian and other Asian cooking.
Lemongrass essential oil has a pleasant lemony, sweet smell and is dark yellow to amber and reddish in color. It is watery in viscosity.
Aromatherapists use lemongrass to ease
pain, lift depression and as a general tonic. Lemongrass has many purposes and uses and can be used in the following ways:
- In burners and vaporizers
- For nervousness and as an insect repellent
- In blended massage oil or diluted in a bath
- For cellulite
- digestive problems
- for over exerted ligaments
- a general tonic or pick-me-up
Lemongrass oil revitalizes the body, reduces and relieves symptoms of jetlag, clears headaches and helps with nervous exhaustion and stress related conditions. It is useful with respiratory infections such as sore throats, laryngitis and fever. It is reported to help prevent the spread of infectious diseases and to be useful for this purpose, if placed in a vaporizer or burner, in a sickroom.
A few drops of the oil can be added to your cat or dogs bath, to help make kitty or pooch smell nice, as well as to help rid your pet of ticks and fleas!
Lemongrass oil has great benefits as a muscle and skin toner and may be applied in a
massage medium to sprains, bruises and dislocations to help heal, ease the pain and make a muscle or joint more supple.
Lemongrass can irritate a sensitive skin, so care should be taken if you have a sensitive skin. It is best to do a skin patch test before use if you are in doubt.
The oil should be avoided during pregnancy and please refer to our detailed safety instructions before using ANY essential oils.
- If you want to read more about the herb lemongrass, please access the specific page in our herbal index by clicking here.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.