As all of us baby boomers are getting older, we are fighting aging - striving to keep ourselves together, our limbs supple and to do our best not to look as ancient as Methuselah.
Seeking the fountain of youth is not a bad pursuit, as old age normally signifies not only poor health, but also very little enjoyment and makes us look old and jaded.
Some people may complain that people that try to look as young as possible are
vain, but it is not so much vanity, as a desire to enjoy the rest of our years on earth.
A whole variety of supplements, potions and creams are touted - and range from animal secretions to dangerous medical injections. While all of this may have benefit in certain areas, a more holistic approach may be a better route to consider.
While supplements are a great way to ensure that the body is properly nourished, special attention should be given to plain and humble compounds that are collectively classed as anti-oxidants.
While your body needs free radicals for certain vital functions, an over-abundance of these oxidizing agents can have a negative, degenerative and
aging effect on most systems of the body - and if your looks are important to you, take note that they play havoc on your skin as well.
Free radicals can be caused by various activities and "things" - hard exercise, smoking cigarettes, eating fried foods, living in a heavily polluted area, too little sleep, too much stress (does any of this sound familiar?) etc. Although the body can cope with a certain amount of free radicals and keep a redox balance, an excess simply places too much stress on the body, and it is then unable to cope.
Your food intake is the best source of natural anti-oxidants - and a simple rule would be to look at taking in fresh fruits, eaten raw and unprocessed.
One problem that exists is that some people only look at one antioxidant - take
vitamin C for instance, and use that as a cure-all for their antioxidant needs - while the truth really is that a variety of antioxidants should be taken to supply a balanced array of them to the body.
Please do not take me wrong - I am a great supporter of vitamin C, and without it I would have had a far lower quality of life, but would just like to point out that a more balanced view must be considered.
Another fad that took the world by storm is that of taking proanthocyanidins for all ills (from pine bark and grape seeds) - and while I do not doubt that they have great qualities, they should once again be taken with other antioxidant compounds to be fully effective.
A good mix of antioxidants in your diet should contain the following, and we listed some good food sources after each one.
- Vitamin A (beta-carotene)
- milk products
- egg yolk
- sweet potatoes
- cantaloupe (spanspek)
- dried apricots
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Vitamin E
- wheat germ
- wheatgerm oil
- sunflower oil
- Brazil nuts
- Co-Enzyme Q 10
- vegetable oil
- Procyanidolic oligomers
- pine bark
- grape seeds (contain a higher percentage of Procyanidolic oligomers than pine bark)
- Citrus fruits
- bell peppers
- green tea
It may take some planning, but if your diet contains enough of the above dietary ingredients, your food intake should be keeping your free radicals in check.
As people get older, they also suffer from constipation, and although some medical practitioners do not always see this as a huge problem, most holistic and naturopathic healers do, as this contributes to the
toxicity of the body, which in its turn contributes to the ageing process.
Using laxatives to rectify this problem has some potential side effects, and a more natural way should be considered to overcome this problem.
For ageless facial beauty, a good skincare regimen should be followed from an early age - which would include proper cleansing, moisturizing, and protecting the skin from the ravages of the sun. Proper nutrition, enough sleep and curtailing cigarette smoke and alcohol intake will also greatly assist.
To fight actual wrinkles, millions of dollars are spent on Botox injections, which immobilize the injected skin and keep it from forming wrinkles.
The cosmeceutical industry would not be outdone, and a molecule was developed to achieve the same effect, without using a neurotoxin to immobilize the skin, but to act in such a way as to simply prevent the formation of wrinkles by stopping the frowning process.
It is unfortunate however, that some very large and powerful cosmetic houses now include this ingredient in their product, which they rightfully and legally claim as an ingredient, yet fail to use the correct percentage (10% inclusion rate) of the molecule in their product - as stipulated by the research and development biotech company which produces the molecule.
This practice is followed to cut costs - and who will ever think that such prestigious and well-known companies would stoop so low as to do this underhanded thing and basically defraud their clients??
To keep your limbs limber, walking is a good way to push the heart rate up, and to mobilize muscles and joints that may have become stiff from years of sitting around. For some further work on your limbs, also have a look at Yoga, as this gentle form of exercise has proven to be a boost for many a person - not only to be more limber, but also to breathe better and live a fuller, better life.
Before starting any exercise program it is best to discuss it with your health practitioner.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.