March 2005 Ageless herbal newsletter
This month we are looking at an aspect of life seldom discussed in polite conversation, and normally shied away from, as it does not meet the normal idea of a civil and generally accepted topic of discussion - yet it affects millions of people and can have a largely negative impact on your general health and wellbeing.
The topic is constipation, the general misconceptions regarding it, and re-evaluating some normal Western standards when making a clinical evaluation.
Some Western allopathic doctors will tell you that a person only suffers from constipation after 4 or 5 days have lapsed since their last
Well - the above is not the standard used in a more natural and holistic approach to health.
Naturopaths and other alternative health practitioners normally agree that a person should have a
bowel movement every day at least - and if you think about it, most people will agree with the validness of this belief.
Our belief is that constipation is not only unnatural, but it leads to certain other health problems, definitely affecting the way you look and feel as well. Not only is it aging, it can also cause an unattractive skin breakout and is one of the major
causes of toxicity, which can manifest as cellulite. (For more information on cellulite, please visit our sister company at www.cellulite.co.za)
Although constipation is not a deadly condition, it in turn can give rise to a variety of other problems, such as:
It can also be a contributing factor to far more serious problems, such as
- Bowel cancer
- Diabetes mellitus
The reasons for constipation vary, and can include the following:
This problem is found in all age groups and in both sexes, while older people for various reasons seem to have more problems with it, as well as
Taking laxatives to relieve this problem is not always a good idea, depending on the type of laxative used.
- Stimulant laxatives
- such as senna, irritate the intestinal wall, which stimulates peristaltic movement. The use of this type of laxative may lead to laxative dependency and should be avoided if possible.
- Stool softeners
- such as mineral oil, are helpful but should not be used regularly, as they can interfere with fat-soluble vitamin absorption and can also increase the toxicity of other drugs.
- Osmotic agents
- such as milk of magnesium and Epsom
salts, are salts or carbohydrates, which promote the secretion of water into the colon, thereby promoting bowel movement, but dependency can also be caused by these agents.
- Bulk-forming agents
- these can be taken daily, do NOT cause dependency, and increase the bulk as well as the water content of the stools, thereby promoting a well functioning digestive system. A good example of a bulk-forming agent is
There are other ways to ensure an effective digestive system, and these would include:
- Following a high fiber diet - not just insoluble fiber such as bran, but also soluble fiber which is found in apples etc.
- Eat a healthier diet and cut down, or cut out, junk and fried foods.
- Drinking enough water - even if you do not like water, or feel that thirsty, make sure that your intake is adequate.
- Do some exercises - even if you do not like exercising or have too little time. At least take a brisk walk every day.
We have a remedy for constipation which is a psyllium-based capsule combined with other herbal ingredients to not only help constipation, but to help your entire digestive and assimilation system. To view our Digest capsules please click here.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.