April 2005 Ageless herbal newsletter
One reality that cannot be ignored, as we grow older and more mature, is that we tend to have either minor aches and pains, or real problems with our
skeletal systems, especially in the lower
back. The use of conventional medicine, such as anti-inflammatory and pain
medication, may be necessary and may help, but may not always be the best option.
We are committed to make people aware of alternative ways of coping with problems, to give you, the master of your body, the right to choose which therapy you find the most advantageous.
Today we wish to bring chiropractic therapy to the table, and have a look at how this holistic approach can assist the body to heal itself.
In the article below, Dr. Rob Donkin writes of Dr. Palmer, the father of chiropractic adjustment. We find it interesting to note that when Dr. Palmer treated the spine of a deaf client - Harvey Lillard, seventeen years of deafness was cured.
We do not tout that chiropractic therapy will cure all deafness or is a panacea to correct all ills, yet we hold the opinion that this form of therapy is an important segment of primary health care, and should be considered as
treatment when planning your personal health care.
To clarify one point - many people think that when visiting a chiropractor, the chiropractor will always stretch you diagonally across the treatment bed and “crack” your spine - not so - it all depends on what method the particular chiropractor uses.
To place this in perspective, herewith a short abbreviated list of different techniques used by chiropractors:
- Gonstead technique
- Detailed analysis of the spinal X-rays is used to determine the adjustments required.
- This uses a small tool, delivering a light and measured force, to correct misalignments.
- Bio-Energetic Synchronization Technique
- This uses a non-force, subtle, yet precise pressure applied by hand to remove blocked nerve energy, balance sensory signals and eliminate physiological interference.
- Cox Fexion-Distraction
- This involves traction and or stretching of the spine to correct lower back pain.
- Applied Kinesiology
- Light massage is used on various reflexes. Acupressure points are also sometimes used.
- Thompson Terminal Point
- This is a full-spine technique using a special “drop” table.
- Palmer Toggle Recoil Technique
- This is a speed and precision adjustment and elbows are used to give sudden pressure.
- Sacro-Occipital Technique
- Padded blocks are placed under the pelvic area to fix muscle tension in the pelvic area, which reflects in neck problems.
- Logan Basic Technique
- Gentle sustained pressure is used on the base of the spine to correct the sacrum and the rest of the spine.
- Nimmo Technique
- Simple pressure is used to release localized muscle spasms.
Although we listed some of the techniques above, your chiropractor, after consultation and examination, may decide to use one or more of the various techniques to help correct a specific problem.
And now the overview from Dr. Donkin:
The chiropractic profession was founded in 1895 in Davenport, Iowa, U.S.A. by D. D. Palmer. Chiropractors are concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of neuromusculoskeletal disorders (NMS) and their influence on the rest of the body. From humble beginnings in 1895 to today, the profession has grown to be the third largest health profession in the world with more than 70,000 chiropractors around the globe.
The foundation of chiropractic is the adjustment. An adjustment is a specific type of
joint manipulation using controlled force, leverage, direction, amplitude and velocity. An adjustment can be applied to most joints of the body and may be accompanied by a “pop” sound, known as a cavitation. The purpose of the adjustment is to restore normal joint function, to influence the nervous system and help the body return to homeostasis (homeostasis can be defined as physiologic stability).
Chiropractic encompasses art, philosophy and science. “Art” is seen as the skill, expertise and intuition needed to accurately identify areas of dysfunction in the NMS system.
Chiropractors are trained to diagnose as a medical doctor would and these skills are used in conjunction with chiropractic specific tests, specifically for nerves, muscles and joints. “Art” is also seen as the skill and finesse needed to treat an area of dysfunction using adjustments and to treat each person individually. The adjustment may be combined with pressure points and other soft tissue techniques. This “art” is taught through a six-year master’s degree in South Africa.
Chiropractic philosophy involves the theories of how the body
functions. For example, Chiropractors believe that the body has the ability to
heal itself. Therefore Chiropractic intervention will assist this process by
removing dysfunction and allowing the body to function optimally. The chiropractic approach is also
holistic which means that the body is examined and treated as a whole rather than one area being focused on exclusively. A holistic approach also includes addressing diet, lifestyle and other factors when treating a problem area.
Science is essential for the chiropractic profession. Scientific research tests the validity of the chiropractic theories and also to test the effectiveness of the chiropractic techniques used. There is a wealth of research demonstrating the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of chiropractic treatment. The research is extensive especially in the area of low back pain. Recent multidisciplinary research in this area was released on
www.bmj.com (British Medical Journal
website), which shows that chiropractors have an effective approach, which is also the most cost effective for low back pain.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.