May 2005 Ageless herbal newsletter
The alternative health system that we are spotlighting is acupuncture – and although it has been around for some time in the West, some people are still a bit scared to consult these needle-yielding practitioners.
This system was developed over 2000 years ago by the Chinese and has its roots in a principle of Taoist philosophy, where the theory is also on the fact that good health depends on a balance of opposing forces – Yin and Yang.
Acupuncture was first introduced to the West in the 18th century, when missionaries returned from China, and was further boosted with the influx of Chinese workers to America in the 19th century.
The basis on which acupuncture is founded is the belief that all the body organs are interconnected by
channels, which are called medians, through which
energy flows, and in so doing keep everything in balance and healthy.
When this flow of energy – or qi (pronounced chee) is blocked, problems and disease can occur, and the work of the acupuncturist is to
remove any blockages in the flow of
energy, which is done by inserting extremely thin needles into certain points, called
acupoints, to achieve this. This will then restore the balance of Ying and Yang and also stimulate the circulation of the qi.
The needles are inserted and can then be twirled to stimulate the action, or a weak electrical current can also be added to the inserted needles for stimulation.
Moxa, which is a herb (mugwort), can also be placed on the needles and burned, to cause heat stimulation, or moxa can be used on its own on the acupoints. When using
moxa on its own, the practitioner will make small cones from the herb and set it alight to burn, to transfer heat onto the acupoints, but will remove it before it can burn the skin.
Used in treatments
Acupuncturists normally have great success with alleviating pain, and acupuncture is also used in the treatment of addictions. Many people have
stopped smoking, or broken their obsessive eating habits, with the
help of acupuncture.
It can furthermore be used in dentistry, as well as surgery, where it is used as an anesthetic while performing dental procedures as well as during childbirth. Another application in which it is often used is to help increase the mobility of people affected by arthritis – both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Another field, in which acupuncturists have had good results in, is in fighting allergies, as well as treating severe headaches and migraines.
Some Western medical practitioners still view acupuncture with great skepticism, as the mechanism by which it works is not fully understood and validating the results is sometimes problematic. Certain theories are however bandied about regarding the way in which acupuncture works – from
releasing natural endorphins to the reactive results in the different meridians.
Some modern European countries however accept it as valid medical treatment and the French medical schools actually include acupuncture in their curriculum. Acupuncture is also covered by the French government health insurance.
How is it performed?
After consulting with the practitioner, he or she will insert hair-thin needles in the acupoints to be used. The acupoints may not be at the same location as where you have pain or a problem, and you may find that after the needle is inserted, you have a warm or tingling effect in another body part, and not in the localized area.
When the needle is inserted, it is not painful, and when the patient is relaxed, it is not even as sharp a sensation as a pinprick.
The time that the needles are left in the body will vary per treatment, but can be anything from 5 minutes to half an hour.
Who is qualified?
Some allopathic practitioners take extra course in performing this treatment, while other practitioners are not medical doctors, only acupuncturists – but the main thing to remember is that the practitioner should be well qualified. The skill at inserting the needle at the absolute right point comes with training but also with practice.
Depending on which country you live in, regulations regarding the licensing of acupuncturists may vary, and it is best to ensure that you visit an acupuncturist properly registered with your own local authorities.
What to watch out for
Make sure that only clean, unused needles are used, since contaminated needles can spread HIV as well as hepatitis.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.