April 2006 Ageless herbal newsletter
Aging is caused by more than a few wrinkles and is influenced by two major factors. The first being the natural occurrence of growing older and your inherited genes and the second being various external factors.
As we age certain physiological changes happen, and apart from the aches and pains we may feel in our bodies, the
skin also ages, with resultant collagen production slowing down and the
elastin in the skin no longer being as robust as before.
The skin’s 'turnover' and growth, with old skin cells being shed, gets slower and the
skin does not look as vital as it did in your early twenties, with supportive tissue and underlying fat reducing at a steady rate.
These aging factors normally start to happen in our mid-twenties, yet it takes a good many years to manifest its damage, and for that reason, following a good skin care regimen from an early age is most advisable.
When this damage starts to appear it can manifest in a variety of ways and will include
fine lines and wrinkles, as well as a thinner, drier and more easily
Although genetic predisposition plays a part in the rate at which you will age
normally, external factors will greatly contribute to the 'look' you have in later years.
External factors, like the sun, will greatly damage your skin and make you look far
older, whereas good skincare and treatments can help
retard the signs of aging.
The worst external factor is that of sun damage or 'photo-aging', as the sun is the most
'aging' thing around. Although some people may think that tanning on sun beds or at
tanning boutiques will lessen the damage done – the truth of the matter is that all tanning is detrimental to your skin.
Not only will tanning and the sun create more wrinkles than normal, but will generally cause
premature aging, as well as age
spots, spider veins, freckles, rough and leathery skin, skin cancers etc.
If you are fair skinned and blonde, you will suffer even more from sun
aging, with dark haired and dark skinned people getting the better end of the stick, yet they as well will
suffer damage and aging from the
The one problem is that sun aging is not immediately detectable, and after years of
tanning, the nagging lines and wrinkles and a dried-up, rough and
uneven skin will be your reminder of your sun-filled days.
The reason for this is that the sun breaks down the collagen in your skin and also impairs the formation of new collagen, and apart from this it also
attacks the elastin in the skin.
For this reason try and limit your sun exposure and if you need to be in the sun make sure that you use a good sunscreen or
sun-block to protect your skin.
Although it cannot be contested that smoking is dangerous to your health, that it is a leading factor in lung cancer as well as a whole range of other medical problems, it also impacts on the way that you look.
Akimichi Morita and his colleagues at the Nagoya City University Medical School have shown that cigarette smoking may upset the body's mechanism in
The important factor here is that the collagen, which forms the connective tissue, is
What Morita shows in his research is that cigarette smoke causes an increase of matrix-metalloproteinases (MMPs), which is the enzyme that
breaks down old skin to make place for the new, yet it causes less collagen to be
formed in the skin.
Popular belief also proclaims that smoking destroys vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and this process is also thought to promote wrinkle formation, since collagen cannot be formed in the skin if there is a shortage of
The amount of vitamin C destroyed per cigarette smoked varies, depending on whom you talk to, but general consensus seems to be that one cigarette destroys about 50 mg of vitamin C.
Decades ago, the vitamin C promoter and Nobel laureate, Linus
Pauling, as well as Adelle Davis, the very popular nutritionist, already advocated an increase of
dietary vitamin C intake to counteract the toxic effects that smoking and environmental pollution have on the body.
So, if you do not want to quit smoking for the sake of your health, then maybe consider doing it for the sake of your looks.
Wrinkles appear at places where constant and repetitive movements of the facial muscles contract, and to illustrate this, imagine a piece of sponge rubber, which is constantly folded at the exact same spot.
The sponge, like your skin, will eventually start forming a 'wrinkle' at that spot, and each time the sponge, or your skin, is moved, it
will wrinkle at that specific point.
These are particularly visible if the skin is dry, under-hydrated and is lacking in
moisture, and is aggravated if the skin is damaged by sun
Although some dermatologists advocate that careful
facial exercises will cause wrinkles, we do not hold the same belief, as
facial exercises are controlled
movements, which are only repeated for a short period of time and do not involve the normal
frown lines of the face.
Facial wrinkles are caused by the skin folding at the same spot hundreds of times a day, and most of the time the person is not even aware of the fact.
If you have a nagging frown line, and do not wish to use something like Botox to
'freeze' the muscle, you could apply a small piece of masking tape over the skin when it is relaxed.
Each time that you frown, the masking tape will contract and you will be made aware of the fact that you are
Gravity constantly pulls on our bodies and after a couple of decades it also takes its toll, which can in some cases be corrected with
plastic surgery, or can also be combated by ensuring that the muscle tone of your face stays in peak condition.
At this point we believe that well controlled facial exercises can assist in
counteracting this by keeping the skin and
facial muscles well toned.
Sleep lines that are formed by resting your face on a pillow can also affect your
smooth unlined face over a period of time.
For this reason it is best to try and sleep on your back, since the facial skin is not stressed in any way. Some people opt for soft pillows to minimize this problem, and a soft pillow cover, like satin or silk, can also help to minimize the effect.
A dry and climate controlled environment in which so many of us live today, with air-conditioning and heating in either the office or home, can also impact on the
health of your skin.
An excessively dry environment will rob your skin of moisture and will contribute to
a dehydrated skin. This can be easily remedied by using a humidifier, which replaces the moisture lost through climate control.
Humidifiers are relatively cheap, and apart from assisting the health of your skin, will also help with other problems caused by very dry air, such as sinus etc.
Although diet as such cannot really be said to be an external influence, it has a dramatic and profound effect on the way your
skin looks and ages.
We do not believe that fad diets should be followed and a well balanced diet will contribute the most to an
We do however believe that certain vitamin supplements can have a profoundly positive effect on the skin, for instance here we can look at adding
vitamin E, A, D and once again vitamin C, as it is vitally important to the health of the
collagen in your skin.
Adequate intake of water (not tea, coffee, cola, juice) must be adequate to keep your body hydrated and functioning well.
You can do without food for longer than you can without water, and your skin will also quickly show if your water balance and hydration levels are not at an optimum level.
Some people complain that they do not like the "taste" of water, if this is the case, simply adding a drop or two of lemon juice to the water, could make it taste better.
It is of very little value to supply your skin with
hydration, emollients etc on the outside, if you fail to look at the internal needs as well.
Skin specialists and dermatologist offer certain treatments which can help negate the effects of aging. Here a person can look at
face lifts, eye tucks, dermabrasion etc.
Good daily skincare and living a healthy life will contribute greatly in you keeping your good looks and with this in mind, you can look at our
herbal skin care range from AgeLess.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.