2006 Ageless herbal newsletter
This herb is used with great success on a variety of external and internal ailments and is also known as field horsetail, bottlebrush, scouring rush, pewterwort, corncob plant and shave grass.
It is an herbaceous perennial with a hairy, tuberous rhizome and erect stems, without leaves or hairs. It has black-toothed sheaths with whorls of spreading, green branches.
The dried stems are used in herbal preparations.
The history of horsetail dates back to ancient Roman and Greek medicine and it was recorded by the Greek physician Claudius, while the seventeenth century herbalist,
Nicholas Culpepper used it to stop bleeding, treat ulcers and wounds, help repair skin ruptures and inflammations, as well as to treat kidney stones.
In Indian Ayurvedic medicine it is used to treat inflammation or enlargement of the prostate gland, incontinence and bedwetting.
The Cherokee people used an infusion to aid the kidneys, while the Chippewa Ojibwe people made a decoction of the stems to treat painful or
Horsetail is used to help control internal and external bleeding and is an
astringent, healing herb. Its main effect however, is on the genito-urinary system.
It also helps to rejuvenate the hair, nails and skin, increases calcium absorption and helps to
rebuild connective tissue.
It is the plant that absorbs the most gold from the soil, making it useful in
It contains silicic acid, potassium, aluminum salts, flavonoids, equisetolic acid and alkaloids.
Internally, it is used for the treatment of prostate
problems, urinary tract infection, kidney
stones, incontinence, cystitis and urethritis, as well as arthritis and hemorrhage.
It is high in silica, which is helpful for repairing connective tissue and cartilage, as well as for
Externally, it is used to boost the health of the skin and nails and also helps with hemorrhage. A compress made from this herb is useful in
treating wounds, as it
Horsetail has traditionally been used as a diuretic and remineralizer and at first it was believed that the diuretic activity was caused by the inorganic elements of the plant (silicon). Today it seems to have been demonstrated that the action is caused by the flavonoids and saponins.
In cosmetics, horsetail is used to help regenerate skin
cells, which is due to the presence of saponins and flavonoids in the herb and the high silica content is most useful for hair products, as it remineralises the hair.
Horsetail should be used for a short limited period only when taken internally and the herb should also not be used on children.
The German “Commission E” has approved
horsetail for the treatment of wounds, due to the fact that it has excellent wound healing
properties, especially in poorly healing
We use extracts of horsetail in our Ageless Herbal Stretch Mark Gel, as it has a stabilizing effect on the skin, helps to rejuvenate and regenerate the skin, increasing elasticity as well as firmness and supports tissue repair.
It is further used in our very popular
It is with good reason why lavender oil is one of the most
favorite essential oils, as it has wonderful qualities and also
It is a calming, relaxing oil, which combats stress and crisis, while the antiseptic properties helps with colds, flu and other ailments.
It is excellent for asthma and migraines and also supports female health. On the
skin, it has a healing effect, preventing scarring and
balancing the production of oil in the
The name is derived from the Latin word 'lavera' which means 'to wash' and the Romans used it frequently in their bath routine. It is said to have been introduced by them into England, where it soon was a firm favorite.
It was a favorite for strewing on the floor, since it released an aroma when walked upon and it is often used these days in
toilet water, as an insecticide or in sachets to be placed between linen. It is also used to clean wounds and to treat burns.
Although lavender oil is considered one of the safest essential
oils, you should discontinue use is you have any allergic
Lavender oil has a soothing and calming effect on the nerves,
relieving tension, depression, panic, hysteria and nervous exhaustion in general and is effective for
headaches, migraines and insomnia.
It is also very beneficial for problems such as bronchitis, asthma, colds, laryngitis, halitosis, throat infections and whooping cough. It helps the digestive system deal with colic, nausea, vomiting and flatulence.
Lavender oil relieves pain when used for rheumatism, arthritis, lumbago and muscular aches and pains, especially those associated with sport.
On the skin, lavender oil tones and revitalizes and it is
useful for all types of skin problems such as abscesses, acne, oily skin, boils, burns, sunburn, wounds, psoriasis, lice, insect bites and stings. It also acts as an insect repellent.
Lavender oil is one of the few essentials oils that can be used neat on the skin, and this is especially useful when
treating a minor burn wound.
Lavender oil is one of the most versatile oils and is handy to have around the house, as it can be used for such a variety of problems.
It not only helps with nervous conditions, it is useful for the digestive system, the respiratory tract and skin problems. It also helps with muscle aches and pains and arthritis and rheumatism.
In vapor therapy, lavender oil can be useful for allergies, anorexia, dizziness, sleeplessness (also in children), hay fever, headaches, depression, trauma, anxiety, hysteria, fear, nightmares, irritability, nervous tension and as an insect repellant.
Apart from that it can assist in lifting depression, help in crisis situations,
soothe irritability and relieve stress, thereby helping with tense muscles and muscle spasms.
Lavender oil can be used as a massage oil or diluted in the bath, for abdominal pains, allergies, anorexia, arthritis, bowel disorders, fatigue, hay fever, headaches, insomnia, moodiness, trauma, anxiety, depression, hysteria, nightmares, fear, irritability, nervous tension, stress and just for the plain pleasure of relaxing in such a fragrant surrounding.
As a wash / on a cotton bud
Lavender oil can be diluted in the rinse water and used as a
wash or neat on a cotton bud for acne, insect bites, carbuncles, bruises, chilblains, dandruff and lice.
On a cold compress, lavender oil can be used for arthritis, eczema and sores.
Cream or lotion
When lavender oil is used in a cream or
lotion, it is most helpful with relieving burns. Its cell renewing properties
help the skin heal faster and the healing properties will help it
lessen scarring while healing the
The soothing and anti-inflammatory action of lavender oil will also have a balancing action on the skin and can be used for dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, boils, carbuncles and acne.
Furthermore it will help ease the pain of sunburn and sunstroke and will also counter the itching effect of insect bites.
When employing the anti-inflammatory action of this oil, use in concentrations of less than 1%.
For more information please visit lavender
oil at Esoteric Oils.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.