2008 Ageless herbal newsletter
This herb has been used since ancient times in Southern Africa and has been discovered to contain high amounts of phytosterols or plant sterols and sterolins, which seem to be of enormous benefit in the treatment of cancer, arthritis, HIV, colds, ‘flu and also helps strengthen the bodies resistance to infection and boosts the immune system.
Hypoxis is also called the “African Potato” or “star
The term “African Potato” is rather misleading as the root does not look like a potato at all and is actually a “corm,” which is a tuberous root made up of various nodes that interlock.
Hypoxis is a tuberous perennial with long broad hairy leaves that form three groups around the plant. Small, bright yellow flowers, “star flowers,” appear on the ends of thin stalks. The plant grows in Southern Africa.
Hypoxis is traditionally used as a general tonic in African medicine and is known as a “muthi” or medicine in the culture of one of the major tribes in South Africa, the Zulu tribe. The tuber or root is dried and ground and the powder is brewed with hot water as a tea, which is left to steep.
It is traditionally used as a strong emetic or to encourage vomiting, to treat feelings of faintness and to help for mental illness. It is also commonly used for the treatment of tumors in testicles, prostate enlargement, healing of septic sores and to relieve headaches.
Modern research resulted in the discovery of high levels of sterols and
sterolins in the plant, particularly beta-sitosterol, and sitosterolin. Hypoxocide and the resultant rooperol where also isolated, which resulted in plant extracts being used in modern preparations to treat prostate enlargement, although other sources of
phyto-sterols, including synthetic sources, are now also used for these preparations.
Much research into Hypoxis has been done in South Africa at the Tygerberg Hospital and at the Stellenbosch University, which was published in the SA Medical Journal (Albrecht C.P., S.A. Medical Journal, 1995. p 853-860).
In this study, it was reported that “rooperi (rooperol) has promising properties as an oral pro-drug for cancer therapy in humans…which may be active in tumors with high deconjugase activity”
Please note that this finding in no way suggests that the sterols and sterolins can
It is also reported in other articles that the sterols and sterolins contained in Hypoxis are beneficial in the treatment of
rheumatoid arthritis by actively controlling certain natural responses of the
human immune system, creating a reduction in inflammation and pain and an increase in mobility.
Certain studies were done using animals, which showed that sitosterols and sitosterolins protected the animals from an increase in glucose levels. It is thought that may be because the sitosterols simulated insulin and caused the insulin levels in the blood to rise.
Research on HIV positive humans in South Africa showed that a sterol/sterolin mixture held CD4 cell counts steady. The studies also demonstrated a decrease in the
This study in no way claimed that Hypoxis or phytosterols could cure AIDS or HIV.
When researching the African Potato, or Hypoxis, on the Internet, as well as various books and clinical publications, you will come across information that supports the use of phytosterols, or Hypoxis, in bolstering the immune system and thereby relieving sufferers of viral infections.
There are also strong suggestions and findings that seem to indicate that phytosterols can be of benefit in controlling the spread of cancerous tumors, diabetes and that they stabilize the CD4 count in HIV positive people and relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
This essential oil is extracted from the plant Pelargonium graveolens of the
Geraniaceae family and has a rosier smell than that of its cousin -
Pelargonium odorantissimum - which is the more the commonly known
geranium essential oil, which has a more wild "lemon-apple" smell.
If the oil is made from the leaves when they start turning yellow it has a stronger rose aroma then the younger, greener leaves. Some imitation rose geranium oil is made from the cheaper
geranium oil while distilling it over rose, to produce
mock-rose geranium oil.
This crisp and rosy essential oil stimulates the adrenal
cortex, helps to balance the nervous system, while lifting depression and relieving anxiety. It has a regulatory effect on the hormonal system, clearing sluggish and oily skin, while assisting with healing.
The plants originated from South Africa as well as Reunion, Madagascar, Egypt and Morocco and were introduced to European countries such as Italy, Spain and France in the 17th century.
There are about 700 different varieties of the plant, yet only 10 supply essential oil in viable quantities, since the normal garden
geranium produce far too little oil for extraction.
It is a hairy perennial shrub, often used in hedgerows, and stands up to about one meter high (3 feet) with pointed leaves, serrated at the edges. It has pinkish-white flowers. In early times, geraniums were planted around the house to help
keep evil sprits at bay.
The leaves and stalks are used for extraction. The oil is obtained through steam distillation.
Rose geranium oil generally does not have any side effects, if used correctly, since it is non-toxic, non-irritant and generally non-sensitizing, yet it can cause sensitivity in some people. It
balances the hormonal system, so it might not be a good idea to use when pregnant.
Rose geranium oil has a balancing effect on the nervous system and
relieves depression and anxiety, while lifting the spirits and making the world an easier place to live in. It has a balancing effect on the adrenal cortex and is great for relieving stress.
It helps the body systems to balance themselves and since the adrenal cortex is stimulated and balanced, the
hormonal system of the body is corrected and aligned. It has a stimulating effect on the
lymphatic system and therefore helps with detoxifying the body. It positively affects female health, treating PMS, as well as balancing vaginal secretion and heavy periods.
It has a general diuretic effect on the body and balances the water systems in the body, correcting any poor elimination of water and waste material. It is useful for treating jaundice, gall stones and can be used to restrain nosebleeds and other bleeding from minor cuts and scrapes.
On the skin, rose geranium oil helps to balance the secretion of sebum and clears sluggish and oily skins, while the antiseptic and
wound healing (cicatrisant) properties make this oil an effective aid to help with burns, wounds, ulcers and other skin problems.
This uplifting oil has a great all-over balancing effect and this extends to the skin - where it helps to create balance between oily and dry skin, keeping the skin supple and clearing congested skin and the emotions - where it helps to relieve feelings of stress and anxiety, and to balance the hormone system.
Burners and vaporizers
In vapor therapy rose geranium oil can be used to help relieve stress, mild depression, PMS, anxiety and tension, menopausal problems and for general energizing.
Rose geranium oil can be used in blended massage
oil, or diluted in a bath to assist with PMS, depression, stress, anxiety and tension, fluid retention, edema, eczema, shingles, cellulite, bruises, ringworm, hemorrhoids and menstrual irregularities.
As a constituent in a blended cream or lotion, rose geranium essential oil can be used for clearing sluggish and oily skin, as well as wound, burn and ulcer healing and has value in treating eczema, shingles,
cellulite, ringworm, bruises and engorgement of the breasts. It is also used to repel insects.
Rose geranium oil can be diluted in shampoo to help with head lice.
For more information please visit Rose
geranium essential oil.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.