2006 Ageless herbal newsletter
The olive tree with its gnarled, irregular trunk, gray-fissured bark and leathery leaves is a well-known sight in most Mediterranean areas and reaches up to 10 meters or +-32 feet in height and is olive leaf extract is sourced from this tree.
Ancient Greek mythology attributes the planting of the 1st olive tree to the goddess of wisdom, Athena, who is said to have planted the 1st tree at the acropolis and is said to have imbued the tree with the powers of light, healing and nourishment.
The Christian bible also refers to the olive tree as the tree of
life. The Egyptians thought the olive leaf to be sacred and an olive leaf was used as a token to represent the power of heaven.
Olive oil was used in the mummification process when embalming Egyptian pharaohs.
Humanity has used olive tree products since ancient times and olive leaf tea has been used for centuries in Middle Eastern cultures, to treat disorders such as coughs, sore throat, cystitis, fevers and gout. Poultices are also made from olive leaves to treat boils, rashes, warts and other skin problems.
Hippocrates, the said founder of modern allopathic medicine, prescribed olive oil for the treatment of
ulcers, but it was only in the 1900’s that the main component of olive leaf –
oleuropein - was isolated.
Olive leaves were used to treat malaria and other fever producing diseases in the late 1800’s in Europe and were a popular remedy in Spain.
Olive leaf tea was reported to be far more effective than quinine (an old fashioned remedy for malaria) was, when treating malaria.
Olive oil is very well known as an oil used in cooking and is a base for salad dressings, but the leaf is mostly used in herbal medicine.
The leaf contains secoiridoids (oleuropein is
one), triterpenoids, sterols, flavonoids and various other phenolic acids, but the main constituent in the leaf, which is usually discussed in research, is oleuropein.
Oleuropein, which is broken down in the body to form elenolic
acid, is reported to be a powerful anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal agent.
Elenolic acid (Oleuropein) is said to interfere with the production of essential amino acids contained in viruses and bacteria, as it destroys the outer wall of these germs and therefore stops them from multiplying and kills them off.
This makes taking an olive leaf extract an excellent idea, as it bolsters the immune system, being an extremely effective remedy to use for
detoxification and as an anti-oxidant.
It is reported to be extremely effective when used to combat Epstein-Barr
(Glandular fever), Influenza, chronic fatigue syndrome and other diseases caused by viruses.
Olive leaf is also used as a treatment for fungal disorders and infections such as candida and psoriasis and is said to relieve the symptoms that coincide with various yeast infections and allergies.
We found mention of animal studies using olive
leaf, which showed a significant reduction in blood pressure in animals and reports have been received that olive leaf extract seems to reduce blood pressure levels in humans.
Most research on olive leaf that you will encounter on the Internet seems to have been done on animals or in a laboratory and we could not trace any clinical trials on humans, but there is a growing body of anecdotal evidence, which seems to confirm the findings as listed above.
Not all olive leaf supplements on the market are as effective, and it is found that a
minimum dosage of 500mg of 18% olive leaf is required daily, or as recommended by your health care practitioner.
The leaves of the Mission and Manzanillo olive trees are said to be the only leaves that contain the correct amount of all the necessary compounds for internal use.
A strange reaction may occur when using an effective olive leaf supplement and it is called “Herxheimers
Reaction.” What may happen is that the oleuropein in the olive leaf extract may cause a large number of the pathogens (germs) in your system to die.
When this happens your liver and kidneys are loaded down with a great number of waste products (the dead germs) to get rid off.
This may cause you to feel sick, show ‘flu like symptoms or allergic
reactions". This usually occurs when taking large doses of olive leaf and shows that the
olive leaf extract is doing its work
If this does occur it is a good idea to halve the dose that you are taking for a few days. Help your body get rid of the waste by flushing out your system with 3 or 4 glasses of fresh pure water whenever you take the olive leaf.
Olive leaf can mess around with the action of antibiotics; so if your doctor puts you on a course of antibiotics, rather stop taking olive leaf extract until you have finished the course.
Olive oil has been used since ancient times as a moisturizer for the skin. The ancient Greeks used olive oil as a base for many perfumed unguents, which were massaged into the skin and then scraped off. Therefore, instead of taking a shower or a bath, the ancient Greeks would oil themselves up, then scrape off the oil and vigorously rub the skin until the oil was totally removed.
Olive oil was also used as a base for medical decoctions, where herbal extracts were infused into the oil.
Poultices of olive leaf were used to treat boils, skin eruptions, rashes, and warts and applied to the face to
clear the complexion.
In modern day, olive leaf extract is incorporated into a number of cosmetics and skin care lotions and moisturizers, being specifically effective when used to combat skin damage caused by UV radiation and to assist in wound healing.
The oleanolic acid and flavonoids in the extract stimulate certain components in the connective tissue of the skin, promote regular growth and balance and thereby boost the health of the skin.
The oleuropein contained in the extract
constricts the surface veins in the skin, helping to promote a smooth and clear complexion.
Olive leaf is used in topical preparations to stimulate blood flow, quite like capsicum (a fiery extract from peppers). Capsicum however directly stimulates the nerve endings in the skin, while
olive leaf extract acts directly on the
muscle, increasing blood irrigation (flow), thereby relieving muscular aches and pains. This makes olive leaf extract an excellent ingredient if used in a massage gel for sports injuries, or sore and stressed muscles.
Olive leaf extract is used in the following products
This form of cancer is becoming increasingly prevalent, probably due to our mistaken modern belief that a
tanned look is healthy and attractive.
Some researchers also believe that the hole in the ozone has a lot to do with the
rise in skin cancer, as the hole in this protective layer in our atmosphere is said to let through more
harmful UV rays from the sun.
We decided to write a little about skin cancer, as we believe that it is vital for anyone in the modern world to be aware of the sun and the rising dangers of skin cancer.
There are many different types of skin cancer, but the types usually occur in 3 forms:
The squamous and basal cell types of skin cancer
usually form slowly and are easier to treat, but a malignant melanoma is the most
dangerous type, that spreads very quickly and can also
attack other organs in the body.
Melanomas, which may or may not become malignant or cancerous, usually appear on the parts of the body most
exposed to the sun, i.e. the head, arms and upper torso. They can appear to be black, dark brown, light brown or speckled in color.
They usually form a little lump and are most often known as a mole. If a melanoma starts
changing shape and color, or starts bleeding and becomes all crusty for no apparent reason, a visit to the doctor is called for.
Melanomas can be the most dangerous form of skin cancer as they can spread quickly to other organs, and may be
untreatable if not diagnosed early.
Basal cell carcinomas are most often seen on the face as a small
pink spot, looking waxy with a pearly sheen and are usually oval.
Basal cell carcinomas can start to grow and form a tiny volcano like shape on the face (raised edges). The centre then starts to
bleed and an ulcer may form. This type of ulcer is known as a
rodent ulcer, which eats away at the face, becoming bigger and bigger. This form of skin cancer reportedly responds well to treatment.
Squamous cell carcinomas usually occur on the
legs, neck and head. They are pink and have no specific shape. They can also
form raised edges and a tumor, similar to basal cell carcinomas.
Squamous cell carcinomas are usually slightly painful to the touch. This form of skin cancer should be diagnosed early to enable it to be successfully treated.
The cause of most skin cancers is over-exposure to the ultra-violet rays of the
sun, or the UV rays from sun beds.
Radiation and long-term exposure to various substances such as coal tar, soot, pitch or arsenic can increase the risk of contracting squamous cell or basal cell skin cancer.
If you have a lot of moles, are very fair skinned, if you have a family history of skin cancer or are being treated with anti organ rejection drugs, you have to be extra careful of the sun or sun beds.
Be on the look out for strange growths or lumps and marks on your skin, as your risk of
developing cancer is much higher in these cases.
Parents should ensure that their children take adequate measures to protect their
skin, as over-exposure to the sun can lead to the risk of their forming melanomas later on in life, apart from the fact that exposure to the sun is extremely aging for anyone.
Ultra-violet light causes skin cancer by
damaging the DNA of the cell. There are 3 different types of ultra-violet light: A, B and C. UVB was thought to be the only type to cause cancer, but it has been discovered that
UVA is just as dangerous to the
Sun beds were thought to be safer than the sun as they use UVA rays, but although sun beds are currently designed to limit the amount of UVA and UVB rays, they can still
cause skin cancer.
Using a well formulated sunscreen that limits the amount of UVA and UVB rays is essential in the modern world, but care should still be taken when in the sun, as a sunscreen may only prevent you from burning and may still be letting through harmful UV rays.
The best idea is to stay out of the sun as much as possible and if a tan is required, use a fake tan. Extremely effective fake tan or instant tan products are available, which don't leave your skin looking an unsightly shade of orange or full of streak marks.
Treatment for skin cancer most probably will involve surgery or some chemical treatment. The
malignant growth and part of the surrounding tissue may be removed, but this will all depend on the assessment by the consulting specialist.
Malignant melanomas that have spread may be treated by chemotherapy,
radiation and surgery, or a combination of the treatments.
To sum up, it is most important to stay out of the sun as far as possible, to wear protective clothing and a hat when in the sun and to use an effective sunscreen daily, as a matter of course. Try not to tan in the sun or on a sun bed and rather use an instant tan if you have to look bronzed.
PLEASE REMEMBER - if you have any strange marks on your skin, or a mole change color or shape, try and see your dermatologist or general practitioner at the EARLIEST convenience.
PLEASE NOTE - the information contained above is only meant for general information and should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition. If you have health concerns, please contact your medical practitioner.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.