In our quest for longevity, we often forget that following a sensible eating plan is as important as staying out of the sun, using a sunscreen, taking enough exercise, doing our best to avoid exposing ourselves to
harmful pollutants and having a positive outlook on
A popular theory in the scientific world is that aging is caused by excessive amount of free radicals and
oxidants in the body, which attack cells and damage the
DNA of the cells, causing us to age more
Free radicals are caused by normal cell
functioning, exercise and are the waste products of normal energy usage in the body. The body can
eliminate free radicals, but the idea is held that we expose ourselves to excessive
amount of free radicals through UV rays from the sun and sun beds, pollution, smoking, alcohol, saturated fats and fried foods. These excess free radicals overload our body, and the body cannot eliminate them in time before
damage is caused.
It is suggested that following a sensible eating plan, which limits the intake of fats and oils and contains high amounts of
anti-oxidants (which fight free
radicals) will help the body to balance and eliminate excess free radicals, thus
retarding the effects of aging.
It is a scientifically established fact that people who eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and limit their intake of fats and oils are
less prone to disease and illness, have a great deal more energy, low cholesterol levels and generally win the “battle of the bulge”, or do not gain unnecessary weight. This fact logically leads to the assumption that eating enough fresh fruit and vegetables and limiting the intake of fats and oils will lead to a longer healthier life and help
prevent cancer, heart disease and a myriad of diseases.
Although avocados, coconuts, olives and nuts do contain fats and oils, most fresh fruits and vegetables do not and are low in salt and also have no cholesterol.
Fresh fruit and vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber, all of which are required for the correct functioning of body systems and to fight excess free radicals, as they
Four of the most studied anti-oxidants, which are said to prevent and fight the
formation of free radicals, are contained in varying amounts in most fruits and vegetables. These include vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene and the mineral, selenium.
This powerful anti-oxidant is not manufactured or stored by the body and is
water soluble, found in all the body fluids. It is essential to eat fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C to
prevent scurvy and to maintain proper health, the
collagen of the skin and the connective fibers of the veins, gums, stomach and other body parts.
Good sources of vitamin C are citrus fruits, broccoli, green peppers, fresh green leafy vegetables, strawberries, raw cabbage and potatoes.
Vitamin C is destroyed in the cooking process, so it would be a good idea to eat raw vegetables and fruit to ensure a proper intake of this vitamin. Popular belief also holds that cigarette
smoking kills off vitamin C - and it is said that each cigarette destroys as much as 50 mg each!
Vitamin C intake can be supplemented and it is the people normally supplement with 1,000 mg per day with their main meal. The only reported side effect of taking large amounts of vitamin C is gastric distress, but this is avoided if the dosage is reduced.
Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin, also known as tocopherol. This vitamin is believed to help
retard the aging process. Good sources of vitamin E are wheat germ, nuts (macadamia nuts are very high in vitamin E), whole grains, green leafy vegetables, seeds, fish liver oil and vegetable oil.
The recommended daily allowance of vitamin E is 30iu (10 mg) for men and 8mg for women, but much more can be taken without negative side effects.
High intakes of vitamin E may induce diarrhea, nausea or abdominal wind. People on anticoagulant medication should not take more than 1,200 iu per day.
Beta carotene is a form of vitamin A - pro vitamin
A. Beta carotene protects dark green, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables from
solar radiation form the sun and it is thought that it does the same for the human body. Carrots, squash, broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, kale, collards, cantaloupe, peaches and apricots all contain high amounts of beta carotene.
The RDA of vitamin A for men is 5,000 IU per day (1,000 µg equivalent) and women 4,000 IU per day (800 µg retinol equivalent), 10,000 IU per day is normally used in supplementation.
When taking vitamin A as a supplement, dosages exceeding 15,000 IU per day must be taken under medical supervision. Toxicity can appear in some individuals at relatively low dosages and the symptoms may include nausea, dizziness, menstrual problems, skin changes and dryness, itchiness, irritability, vomiting, headaches and long term use can
cause hair loss, bone and muscle pain, headache, liver damage, and an increase in blood lipid concentrations.
Selenium is a trace element thought to fight cell damage and is thought to help
fight cancer. It helps the body get rid of toxic minerals such as lead, mercury and cadmium. Selenium improves
healthy sperm production in men, stimulates antibody response to infections, alleviates menopausal symptoms in women and promotes better energy usage in the body.
It is thought best to get selenium from food sources and not as a
supplement. Rich sources of selenium are fish, shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, chicken and garlic.
The recommended daily allowance of selenium is very small, 70 micrograms per day. This trace element is very toxic if taken in too large quantities. This may
result in hair loss, tooth decay, brittle nails, white spots, poor appetite, sour taste in the mouth, loss of feeling in the hands and feet, change in skin pigmentation and the
breath may have a garlic smell.
From the above you can conclude that eating is more than just stilling your hunger - and can
play a positive role in fighting aging as well as promoting a far more vital and energetic life. Although supplements can go a far way in looking after our nutritional needs - the best is still to try and obtain all the necessary nutrients from a healthy balanced diet.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.