In this month’s newsletter we are going to discuss wrinkles – the dreaded telltale signs of aging.
We will also look at:
- How they are formed
- What contributes to their formation and
- How to prevent wrinkles from forming
To start with, lets have a look at how wrinkles are formed
As the years go by, and particularly after the age of 30, changes start to occur in the
nature of the skin as well as your body – with your body secreting less
Human Growth Hormones which helps in keeping your
skin looking young through a complex system of action.
The skin starts to age more rapidly as the skin cells die faster than the body can produce new ones and the
quality and quantity of collagen – the
supporting foundation of the skin starts waning.
The cellular structure of the skin changes and the connective tissue and the elastic fibers (that help keep the
skin supple) in the skin begin to deteriorate.
These changes make the skin less supple and reduce the tone of the
The support (the dermis), underneath the epidermis (surface
skin), becomes like an old mattress: it loses its
firmness, as new cells do not replace old cells fast enough, folds start to form, and the epidermis collapses into the fold - forming a dreaded
Usually these folds start to form in places on the skin where there is constant and
repetitive movement of the muscles; e.g. in crows’ feet
around the eyes or a permanent ‘frown’ mark in between the eyes.
A person can also compare this process to a sponge that is folded repetitively in the same spot. The sponge will start
forming a ‘wrinkle’ in that area, and every time the sponge is squeezed, it will
‘wrinkle’ in the same area.
Wrinkles form naturally as we age, due to the deterioration in body processes, but there are also a number of external factors that contribute to the
formation of wrinkles.
We were all born with a perfect, smooth skin, free of
wrinkles, but due to disregard for skin care, or a non-care lifestyles, we stress our skin and cause excessive oxidative stress and are then left with an uneven looking complexion with
wrinkles and lines.
A youthful looking skin can be achieved with consistent care, and nourishing the dermis and epidermis will boost the elasticity of the skin, preventing and retarding the formation of wrinkles and
promoting a blemish-free skin.
It has been proven that good skincare can retard and help rejuvenate mature and tired looking
Although make-up and covering-up-type of cosmetics may be useful, they can never replace an
essentially healthy skin, which glows with vitality.
While wrinkles form easier on a dry skin, hereditary factors also play a part in this process. To have a youthful, vital and
radiant complexion several factors must be in sync.
But, a skin can never look its best without proper
A good skin care regimen includes the following:
And then also a lifestyle that will promote a youthful looking
To have a look at a line of superb natural herbal skin-care products, please follow this link: http://www.ageless.co.za/products.htm.
Exposure to ultra violet light, UVA,
UVB or UVC, from the sun or sun beds accounts for up to 80% of
The ultra violet rays negatively effect the working of the DNA in skin cells, promote free radical activity in the skin - which destroys cells, and speeds up the process whereby collagen is broken down (collagen is a protein chemical substance that is the main support of skin, tendon, bone, cartilage and connective tissue).
All the above-mentioned factors destroy the balance of cell formation and structure deep down in the dermis, which is supposed to form a healthy structure for the epidermis to lie on, which causes the premature formation of indentations or wrinkles.
It must also be noted that UV rays are also scientifically proven to cause skin
The application of a good sun block is essential to promote unlined and wrinkle free skin and it is strongly suggested by many medical authorities to rather stay out of the sun.
It has been proven that smoking is dangerous for your health, but a little known fact is that
smoking also severely damages your
Akimichi Morita and his colleagues at the Nagoya City University Medical School have shown that
cigarette smoking may upset the body's mechanism in skin
What is the important factor here is that the collagen, which forms the connective tissue, is damaged.
What Morita shows in his research is that cigarette smoke causes an increase of matrix-metalloproteinases (MMPs) - which is the enzyme that
breaks down old skin to make place for the new - yet it
causes less collagen to be formed in the
Popular belief also proclaims that smoking destroys vitamin C
(ascorbic acid), and this could also be indicated to promote wrinkle formation, since collagen cannot be formed in the skin if there is a shortage of vitamin C. Without collagen, the skin does not have all the required elements to form connective tissue for a healthy wrinkle free skin.
The amount of vitamin C destroyed per cigarette smoked varies, depending on whom you talk to, but general consensus seems to be that one cigarette destroys about 50 mg of vitamin C.
Decades ago, Adelle Davis, the very popular nutritionist, advocated an increase of dietary vitamin C intake to counteract the toxic effects that smoking and environmental pollution have on the body.
Therefore – never mind the dangers of smoking - smoking also damages the structure necessary for a
smooth unlined skin.
A well balanced diet, including all the necessary vitamins, fatty acids, protein and carbohydrates is necessary for
ultimate skin health.
Your skin, as a major organ of the body, reflects the state of your health, which is influenced by the type of food that you eat.
For the collagen and various other structures in the skin to maintain optimum health, an adequate supply of vitamins, protein, fatty acids and trace elements is necessary.
These include vitamin A, D, B and E, vitamin C for collagen formation, zinc, selenium and silica.
Vitamin A, C, D and E are also very effective anti-oxidants, which fight free radicals and therefore prevent the destruction of skin cells, which promotes a wrinkle free skin.
There are various procedures and treatments available, which
eradicate or decrease the appearance of
The injection of botulism into the area where wrinkles are formed is found to be effective, although there are side effects that have to be taken into account before such a procedure is done.
The effects differ from one individual to another and depend on your own metabolism.
Your metabolism also plays a large role in the period of effectiveness, and the wrinkles in the area treated may appear again within 8 to 20 weeks.
Botulism, also known under the trade name BOTOX™, works by paralyzing the muscles surrounding the wrinkle and this causes the skin to pull tight,
eliminating the wrinkle.
Cosmetic surgery is a costly and major step taken to eradicate wrinkles and obtain a more youthful appearance. A
face-lift, including a forehead and brow lift can be done, or a person could look at a facial peel or laser, which is also effective in
reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
If you decide to have cosmetic surgery, a laser treatment or peel, we advise that you have this done by a registered dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
Many cosmetic manufacturers develop anti-wrinkle
creams, which are touted to provide miracle results in a matter of days and this is normally not found to be the case.
Our research has found that Argireline™, developed in Spain by Lipotec ®, is a truly effective active molecule that dramatically improves the appearance of wrinkles within 30 days, if included in a cosmetic cream at a 10% inclusion rate.
These claims are based on laboratory tests, as well as controlled case studies by the University of Milan.
To promote and achieve a wrinkle free
appearance, it is essential to look at the body as a whole and to remember to follow a healthy lifestyle, which includes a healthy diet and a
good skin care regimen.
Also remember to stay out of the sun and not to smoke.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.