The term cellulite is said to have originated from the Latin word “cellula” meaning “little cell” and is used to describe a fatty deposit on the skin with a dimpled, uneven appearance, usually found around the thighs and buttocks – also colloquially known as
orange peel syndrome, cottage cheese
skin, the mattress phenomenon and hail damage.
Cellulite should not be confused with the medical condition “cellulitis,”
which describes an inflammation of the skin and its underlying connective tissue.
Controversy abounds as to whether the condition really exists, with many medical practitioners “pooh poohing” the term, as they regard
cellulite to simply be fat.
However, many scientists, including the French medical fraternity, regard cellulite to be a totally different condition, created by a collection of toxins in the body, manifesting themselves as a deposit in the skin, which is caused by many different factors, which we will be discussing in this article.
Cellulite is not simply fat, as many extremely fit people suffer from cellulite. Many ballerinas and gymnasts have cellulite, which should not be the case with the amount of extreme exercise they undertake on a daily basis, which causes them to be extremely fit, slim and trim.
Certain militant feminists resent the fact that cellulite is regarded as a disorder and regard
cellulite to be a natural occurrence in women, caused by hormones. They submit that
cellulite is as natural as having large breasts, and should be accepted as a natural occurrence.
On studying cellulite, we however have come to believe that a lot can be done to
prevent and eradicate this unsightly toxic build-up, although it is found to occur in many women and, believe it or not, in some men.
To understand what causes cellulite and how to treat it, a person needs to understand certain basics regarding the structure of the skin.
The outside epidermis covers the inner dermis, which contains blood vessels, hair follicles, nerve receptors and connective tissue, which forms the support of the
skin and which contains collagen.
Below the connective tissue, you find layers of subcutaneous fat and it is here where the problem starts.
In females, this fat is stacked in vertical chambers, which may slightly protrude into the dermis. It is these uneven protrusions that cause the well-known
orange peel effect - when the chambers become overly full and distended.
The fat cells in males are stacked in a different configuration, and for this reason, men are not as
susceptible to cellulite - coupled to the fact that their epidermis and dermal layers are normally thicker than female's, thereby hiding the “orange-peel” effect.
The structure of the fat in females and problems such as inefficient waste removal from the cells in this region, as well as less than perfect
circulation, will result in an accumulation of wastes and
enlargement of the adipocytes (fat
cells). This causes the fat cells in the skin to extend and press to the top, which
causes the much feared look of cellulite.
There are no hard and fast rules, and cellulite can start to develop in
puberty and would normally get worse as you get older.
The reason why it gets worse with age is four-fold:
As we age the skin gets thinner, and this makes the
cellulite even more visible.
Skin compactness and tone decreases as we age, and this loosening of the skin due to the collagen being less firm, will allow more and more of the adipocytes
(adipose fat cells) to press toward the skin surface.
With the passage of time, our bodies become less efficient in dealing with the removal of waste products, and circulation may also decrease - both factors will contribute to the
development of cellulite.
For various reasons, we tend to pick-up weight as we age, and this will increase the problem - and for this reason,
body fat mass must be checked and controlled when dealing with
Should you be overweight the cellulite will be more
visible, but even when you have a very slim body, you may still have
When you go on diet, you may lose weight, but this will not necessarily mean that the adipocyte (fat cell) chambers will
reduce in size, and when going on fad quick-weight-loss diets, your
cellulite problem may even appear worse than before, since the excess weight has been shed, but the fat cells in the connective tissue are still pushing up, as they have not had the time nor the opportunity to empty themselves from the excess fat and wastes that created the cellulite problem in the first place.
If being overweight is your main problem, it would be best to go on a sensible diet to get rid of the excess weight and to tackle the cellulite problem at the same time.
Using slimming products that contain stimulants can increase your cellulite problem, as they may cause toxins to form.
There are two types of cellulite - hard and
When pinching or compressing the skin tissue between thumb and forefinger, you get the characteristic
dimpling effect. This is referred to as soft cellulite or ‘status protrusus cutis’. This type of
cellulite is also normally sensitive.
After progressing through this stage, you can find hard cellulite or ‘dermo-panniculosis deformans’, which needs not to be compressed to show, and is always visible. At this stage the tissues may be flabby, but is in most cases no longer sensitive.
Regular body fat can be found anywhere on the body, whereas
cellulite tends to settle on the following areas:
- inner, upper and back of thighs
- upper back below the shoulders
- inside and back of upper arms
The reason why cellulite tends to appear more on the hips and thighs is due to the LPL
(lipoprotein lipase) enzyme that helps to control the distribution of fat, and tends to be more concentrated in these regions.
Problems with broken blood vessels, spider veins and/or varicose veins may also be experienced where
cellulite is present.
Due to the hormonal aspect involved, women are far more likely to get cellulite than men, and men in fact rarely suffer from
The influences of hereditary and genetic factors have not fully been investigated, but some genetic predisposition may make you more vulnerable to develop cellulite than the next person.
If your genetic material from Mother or Grandmother makes you a more likely candidate for
cellulite, it may be worth your trouble to live a lifestyle that will prevent cellulite as far as possible.
We all probably know what this means! Cut out coffee, smoking and alcohol as far as possible, exercise to increase blood circulation, drinking enough pure water and eat healthy foods that do not cause you to store toxins, but rather help you to eradicate them and breath properly.
The CEO of our company, contends that most women suffering from constipation will also
suffer with cellulite – which underscores the problem of toxicity. For natural help to stay regular look at www.Ageless.co.za/hz11.htm.
There are various theories about what is the most effective way to combat this problem, and although a range of supposed miracle cures have seen the light of day, few have ever delivered any real measurable success.
We have however made a study of a peptide and a specialized herbal extract, which
remove and eradicates cellulite and we are impressed by the clinical trials supporting this. These ingredients produce the results promised, provided that they are included in a product at the correct percentage (as we do!).
We manufacture products containing the correct percentage of this peptide or specialized herbal extract and are impressed with results achieved by our clients.
For more information regarding these products, please click on the following links:
- Ageless Herbal Cellulite Gel – containing a patented herbal extract of bilberries, called Myriceline
The most effective way of removing cellulite and
preventing the occurrence of cellulite is through a change of lifestyle, incorporating the following, but for extensive information, please visit our website:
www.cellulite.co.za which supplies FREE information on lifestyle plans to eradicate cellulite, such as proper diet, exercise, relaxation, constipation, breathing exercises, etc:
- Diet reassessment
- Eliminating or drastically minimizing the intake of certain fluids and foods and increasing the intake of others, such as fresh vegetables and fruit including celery and dark green vegetables. When looking at fluids, coffee and alcohol are a BIG no no, whereas the correct intake of fresh pure still water is HIGHLY recommended.
- As your doctor will tell you, this is essential to keep all your body systems functioning correctly, which will also promote the efficient working of the lymphatic system (fluid near the skin), which will greatly help the drainage of toxins from the skin and increase healthy circulation.
- Correct breathing
- Promotes oxygen absorption and eliminates toxins from the body. Correct breathing habits influence the posture and promote physical and mental well-being.
- The inability to cope with stress efficiently is one of the major causes of cellulite formation, as stress is known to reduce the body’s ability to eliminate toxins correctly.
- When the body system is unable to rid itself of waste materials, a toxic build-up will occur. To keep the body functioning properly, daily bowel movements must occur, to remove the waste materials from the body.
- Even though modern Western medicine will not classify improper bowel movements as constipation, - unless a proper bowel movement is not completed in five days, Natural Health prescribes daily bowel movements as necessary for proper health and hygiene.
Certain pure extracts of essential oils from, for example, Black Pepper, Grapefruit, Fennel, Juniper Berry and Geranium are used in many anti-cellulite products to help
increase circulation and eliminate toxins. We have received reports from clients that they find these oils to be beneficial, and anecdotal evidence seems to prove that these oils do help to improve the
appearance of cellulite.
We sell the separate oils and a blend of these oils on our website: www.essentialoils.co.za
so if you want to have a look, please have a look at the website, which includes information on how to dilute oils and where to use them. The ready-blended
oil can be viewed at www.EssentialOils.co.za/blend-anti-cellulite.htm.
Please take note! – Essential oils are powerful compounds and very little must be used. For more information on safety when using essential oils, please view
We have noted that topical caffeine and iodine are often used in products that eradicate cellulite, and you will note that we also use these in our Cellumend product, as research does prove that these work.
Cellulite is a contentious term, which is accepted by some medical practitioners. However, we believe that cellulite is not fat, but a collection of toxins in the fat cells of the skin, which is prevalent in women and can be controlled through lifestyle changes and the application of products which include the correct percentage of peptides and herbal extracts, which have been proven through scientific evaluation.
We trust that you have enjoyed this month’s newsletter.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.