In 1976, Drs. Langcake and Pryce reported the presence of resveratrol and its derivatives in
grapevine tissues. It was discovered at that time that plants
produced resveratrol when they were under attack by fungi, bacteria, or viruses.
This led to the conclusion that resveratrol was a natural protectant to plants under times of stress, and also led to the beginning of studies to examine whether resveratrol could be beneficial to humans.
Although resveratrol is not an essential nutrient - that being that life can be sustained without it, it is however interesting to note that
resveratrol can have a host of beneficial effects on the body, and the surface is only now been scratched with what resveratrol could offer us in
There are no clinical signs of deficiency, as it is not an essential nutrient.
No RDA has been established for this compound.
For it to have a therapeutic effect, a 99.9% pure resveratrol supplement should be taken at 100 mg per day.
Although there are literally thousands of companies that sell a 10% purity resveratrol - and then at a dosage of 10 - 20 mg - the quantity is too small to make any significant contribution to the body's health.
To date, no side effects, toxic symptoms, or drug interactions have been reported in connection with
drinking resveratrol. We do however recommend that people under 18 years of age do not take
In our modern day life, we all seem to be able to benefit from this nutrient - especially if you are subjected to a lot of
stress, or environmental stressors and pollutants. People with certain medical conditions - be that elevated or raised blood
cholesterol levels or even more serious problems like breast and
prostate cancer could benefit from adding this to their diet.
It is also a great way to keep aging at bay, as it helps in various manners to create a far healthier body - working at cellular level, where it all begins.
The chemical structure of resveratrol is important because from its structure chemists can determine some properties related to its benefit. The hexagons in the structure of the molecules are called aromatic rings, and the
OH groups are called hydroxyl groups. When aromatic rings and hydroxyl groups are together the chemical is called a phenol. Since there is more than one of these phenols present, the compounds are called
Polyphenols are often associated with compounds that are antioxidants. This is because they can react with
free radicals to form a more stable molecule; one that is less toxic than the original radical.
In vitro and in vivo animal and human studies have shown that resveratrol possesses many biological attributes. These factors favor cardiovascular protection, neuroprotection, antioxidative and immunomodulatory activities, modulation of hepatic lipid synthesis, inhibition of platelet aggregation, vaso-relaxing effects, and inhibition of pro-atherogenic eicosanoids by human platelets and neutrophils.
Since resveratrol is a component of red
wine, it has been postulated that resveratrol may be responsible for many of the
health benefits attributed to red wine consumption.
Resveratrol has been shown to act as an anti-mutagen by inhibiting the cellular events associated with tumor initiation, promotion, and progression. It also acts as a phytoestrogen and can serve as a natural
replacement for estrogen during menopause.
It has also been shown in studies to decrease tumor growth in vivo. A recent study indicates that
resveratrol directly stimulates cell proliferation and differentiation of
osteoblasts, reduces the risk of
osteoporosis, and increases bone
Other beneficial effects include increases in collagen synthesis and amelioration of depression.
Plant antibiotics such as resveratrol are known as
phytoalexins. These compounds are the members of the plant kingdom classified as
Although grape skins are the most well known source of resveratrol, it can also be found in peanuts as well as other botanical material.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.