March 2009 Ageless herbal newsletter
The Baobab tree must be one of the most intriguing trees growing on the African continent - and is often referred to as the "upside-down" tree which can have a
lifespan of up to 6,000 years. Botanically it is known as
Adansonia digitata, named after the French botanist Michel Adanson who studied these trees.
Although we only sell the oil of the Baobab tree, it does have other uses as well.
The Baobab tree has digitate (hand-shaped) leaves, and ovoid fruit, with a hard woody shell covered in yellowish-green velvety hairs, are again easily identified. Inside its shell, the fruit contains a number of seeds, embedded in a whitish, powdery pulp. Tangy and nutritious, the pulp makes a tasty food or, after soaking in water or milk, a refreshing beverage.
The tree is found throughout Africa, generally at low altitudes and in the hotter, drier areas. In fact, so widespread is the tree that, to many people, it is an icon, symbolic of the continent itself.
The leaves of the Baobab tree are commonly used as a leaf vegetable throughout the area of mainland African distribution, including Malawi, Zimbabwe, and the Sahara and are eaten both fresh and as a dry powder, and in Nigeria the leaves are used to make soup.
The fruit is nutritious important as it contains high amounts of vitamin C and exceeds the calcium content of cow's milk.
The dry fruit pulp is known as "sour gourd" or "monkey's bread" is eaten directly or mixed into porridge or milk. In Malawi the fruit pulp is also used to make a nutrient-rich drink.
The fruit was once used in the production of tartar sauce and in various parts of East Africa the dry fruit pulp is covered in sugary coating and sold in packages as a sweet and sour candy.
The seeds are used as a thickener for soups, but can also be fermented into a seasoning, roasted for direct consumption, or pounded to extract vegetable oil. The tree also provides a source of fiber, dye, and fuel. Indigenous Australians used the leaves medicinally.
The fruit of the baobab is not available in the EU as current EU legislations from 1997 dictate that foods not commonly consumed in the EU have to be formally approved before going on sale. On 15 July 2008, the EU approved parts of the fruit for use in smoothies and cereal bars.
Although the oil from the Baobab tree is not an essential oil - as it is a "fixed" oil and not a volatile oil, it does have some amazing properties, and for this reason we have decided to stock this oil.
Since it is a fixed oil - it will not burn the skin when used neat on the skin, but since it is such a rich and nourishing oil, it can be included in far smaller quantities into another
carrier oil or base.
The pure oil is extracted from the seeds and the oil is easily and quickly absorbed by the skin leaving no oiliness or greasiness. Baobab oil is highly
moisturizing, emollient and soothing which is partly due to the ingredients found in the oil. It contains
vitamins A, D, E and F.
Vitamins A and F (which are polyunsaturated fatty
acid) are actively involved in the rejuvenation and renewal of cell membranes, while vitamin E is a superior antioxidant, which helps to
Baobab oil is ideal to help treat dry and damaged
skin, as well as for intensive hair care and its soothing properties are helpful for eczema and
psoriasis treatments due to the Omega 3, 6 and 9 contained in the oil.
The baobab seed oil is pure, cold-pressed and unrefined – containing no additives.
Baobab oil does far more than just moisturize the skin and this rich, golden oil also helps to improve skin elasticity, encourages
regeneration of skin cells and does not clog the pores.
It is also said to alleviate pain from burns and regenerates the epithelial tissues in a short time, thereby improving skin tone and
Baobab oil is used in small percentages in creams, lotions, body butters and other skin care formulations.
Baobab oil is known for the following beauty benefits:
The oil is extracted by cold-pressing the
Baobab oil is a semi-fluid golden-yellow oil that is gently scented and contains nearly equal amounts of saturated (33%), mono-unsaturated (36%) and poly-unsaturated (31%) fatty acids, and the essential linoleic acid is of special interest.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.