May 2009 Ageless herbal newsletter
You may call it cosmetic surgery or plastic
surgery - but you are still talking about the same surgical procedure, which is becoming more and more popular all over the world.
We are NOT involved in cosmetic
surgery - we manufacture skin care products - and offer this article for general information
Cosmetic surgery (plastic surgery) can be divided into two separate parts - that of reconstructive surgery after trauma such as an automobile accident where the
face was damaged, and that of
aesthetic enhancement and correction - where the patient him/herself decides to have something changed.
Some people still question the role of cosmetic surgery in our society and link it to a value system, while others are of the opinion that
cosmetic surgery is only for the
vain, and still others arguing that it is not vanity but the quest for looking your
We are in favor of people looking and feeling their best, and should that include the use
of cosmetic surgery to achieve the results, we see no moral issue with people having such surgery and is also the reason why we included information pages on
cosmetic surgery on our official website.
The old idea that only performing stars and
celebrities has cosmetic surgery is no longer valid.
It has become an acceptable procedure for both men and women from all walks of life. I spoke to one of the best cosmetic surgeons in South Africa, and he confirmed that a lot of people would come to consult him, find out the cost, and then go away to save up the money to have the procedure – so don't think that doctors are anticipating your immediate action in all cases.
Most people do not advertise the fact that they have
had cosmetic surgery, yet the results of plastic surgery are normally very visible and the
results can be amazing.
When choosing a plastic
surgeon, some time and research must be spent, since not all surgeons are created equal.
People having cosmetic surgery are normally happy with the results achieved, but a fair assessment by the attending plastic surgeon of each individual case is called for.
A patient must be made aware in no uncertain terms of what can be done and what can be achieved - as false hopes and
promises by the surgeon will lead to the patient building up unattainable hopes of what the plastic surgery will achieve, and then feel
unhappy when the final results do not measure up to their expectations.
Another point to remember when contemplating plastic surgery is your mental state of mind - if you are sure that augmentation or correction through surgery will make you look better, by all means consider it, but do not rely on the surgery itself to make you feel better inside yourself.
In 2002 nearly 7 million Americans had cosmetic
surgery, with 800,000 of these plastic surgery procedures performed on men.
The increase in male patients seeking cosmetic surgery has grown over the last couple of years, and is no longer seen as an effeminate type of surgery, since the mindset of people has changed and men have to come to realize that facial
attractiveness may translate into more successful careers etc. and that it is desirable to have a
younger looking face.
The age group that has most plastic surgery varies between 35 and 50 years and the most popular procedures performed were:
If you are looking for smoother, youthful facial
contours, a smooth jaw-line, want to get rid of
sagging cheeks and loose skin around your
neck and chin - then a facelift (also called a rhytidectomy) might be called for.
A facelift can do wonders for your looks and your corresponding boost of self confidence, but it also has some limitations - for instance it will not
remove wrinkles or correct other skin
problems, and for this, look at facial peels by clicking here, and a good skin care regimen will also go a long way to help.
After a facelift the bottom two-thirds of your face will appear
younger, but the top third of your face may then be in need of eyelid surgery and a
brow lift, which can be done at the same time as the facelift.
When a facelift is being
performed, incisions will be made from above your ear, down the front of your ear, around the earlobe, and up towards the back of the ear and then into the hairline. This is the basic cutting procedure, but may vary, depending on what your plastic surgeon will decide on.
After the incisions are made, your plastic surgeon will gently free the skin from the underlying tissue and pull up and back, with the excess then removed. In some cases the underlying tissue may also need repositioning and
Another incision may be made under the chin to remove excess fatty tissue and smooth out the cord-like structures of the underlying muscles.
Mild discomfort may be experienced and bruising will fade within 2 - 3 weeks while numbness in the cheeks may take weeks and sometimes months to disappear.
Although you may be able to start work (no heavy lifting, straining or bending) after a week, your physical appearance may want you to wait another week or so.
After a facelift, make sure to stay out of the
sun, and to protect your skin with a sun block cream with SPF 15 or higher.
As with any surgical procedure, there are certain
risks to keep in mind. Hematomas (blood collecting under the
skin), infections, and reaction to anesthetic must be considered.
Beware of mini-facelifts - it is like being pregnant - you are or you aren't. If you have a facelift done, have it
done properly by a reputable registered
plastic surgeon, and take the touted adverts of mini-facelifts with a pinch of salt.
When having a facelift, your aim is not to have your
facial appearance altered - you simply want to get rid of the offending and
aging folds, jowls, turkey-gobbler
appearance, sagging and excess fatty tissue in the neck - you don't want to look like somebody else - just a
newer version of yourself.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.