I find this time of year an extremely stressful period, especially when we try to get through an immense amount of work before all the office people take their well-deserved holiday (although we do not close over December).
This got me to thinking about how everyone else must be feeling, with the exhausting year behind us, winding everything down, facing the daunting prospect of shopping for gifts, driving or getting to holiday destinations and preparing celebratory meals and catering for parties and year end celebrations.
A certain amount of stress is beneficial, as it stimulates us to achieve an optimal level of functioning, and our ‘fight or flight” reaction to dangerous situations is of course necessary for survival, as it causes the release of hormones to trigger faster responses and awareness.
Our bodies are designed to deal with a certain amount of stress, whether this is caused by emotional, mechanical, chemical or mental factors.
However, in our current fast paced lifestyle the body’s stress response is activated so often that we don’t get time to relax and the body doesn’t manage to return to its normal state, resulting in a chronic state of stress.
Looking at this holistically, chronic stress causes a loss of balance in all the body functions, which eventually leads to a build-up of toxins and free radicals in the body, which causes most of today’s serious chronic health complaints and directly impacts on the health and tone of the skin.
When we are stressed the adrenal glands secrete higher levels of a hormone known as cortisol (also known as the “stress hormone”) into the blood stream.
Cortisol is necessary for proper immune function, to balance blood pressure and to maintain a proper level of blood sugar, but constant high levels of cortisol (caused by chronic stress) cause major health problems – and also cause an increase in the skin’s oil production, loss of skin barrier function (skin dehydration) and bad skin tone.
The over-production of sebum (oil) can lead to oily skin, comedones (white-heads or black-heads), enlarged pores, and other related skin problems, but with proper cleansing of the skin this is negated.
However, an “over-cleansing” of the skin will not only strip the skin of its natural barrier function, but if the skin cleanser used is not properly pH balanced it can lead to dry skin as well as a flaky red, irritated and inflamed skin.
Apart from causing the over production of oil, stress has the effect of reducing skin barrier function – so while your skin will get oily, you will at the same time have skin dehydration – leading to a wrinkled and unhealthy looking skin.
The reduction of skin hydration will not only encourage the formation of premature wrinkles and lines, but will also negatively impact on the provision of nutrients to the cells, and impede the removal of cell waste caused by normal cell functioning.
You will therefore face a multiple whammy – your skin will be oilier, look older, haggard, undernourished, dry, irritated and unhealthy.
During times of increased stress it is imperative to make sure that your skin is properly moisturized – even if you are a man not caring too much for skin care, or if you in general are not too concerned with your skin.
If you don’t want to fight aging actively with the
Ageless herbal range, then at least do yourself (and your skin) a favor and use a good natural (NON petroleum based) basic moisturizing cream like Olinat.
I find it extremely funny that people will go throughout their lives not looking after the basic needs of their skin, but then when they start hitting the late 40’s and early 50’s – both MEN and WOMEN start to notice their aging faces, and then go looking for miracle cures, Botox and facelifts.
Good basic skin care is a necessity for everybody – and it is not vanity – the skin is the largest organ in the body and is generally a good barometer of your health status.
Healthy people’s skin seems to shimmer and glow with vitality, while their ill cousins have a terrible dull and uneven complexion and dreadful skin tone.
Therefore - at the close of the year, with all the stresses and strains, spare a thought for the health of your skin.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.