Using aromatherapy is not a cure-all, but does assist in healing certain ailments, and should be used with care. A massage with essential oils can be wonderful and even if some scoff at this type of alternative therapy, it is best to try it for yourself and see if it works for you.
We are part of Esoteric Oils and do not really sell essential oils on this site, although we traditionally have always sold lavender, jojoba and tea tree from the Ageless.co.za site.
These oils are still available, but the oil sold are under the Esoteric Oils label.
For detailed information on the whole spectrum of essential oils and more information on aromatherapy please visit our
Esoteric Oils website.
The following essential oils are the most popular in use:
- Black pepper
- Chamomile (German and Roman)
- Clary sage
- Clove bud
- Juniper berry,
- Lemon grass,
- Palma rosa
- Rosewood ,
- Tea tree
Aromatherapy massage and essential oils date back for thousands of years, and aromatherapy is reputed to have been practiced in ancient Egypt where they were massaged with fragrant essential oils a practice the ancients Greeks and Romans continued.
The Romans went even further and imported oils from all over the world, through the trade routes opened by themselves. The use of aromatherapy and aromatic essential oils have been noted in most ancient cultures, ranging from the above to the Aztecs and Chinese to the ancient Indian system known as Ayurvedic.
The term aromatherapy can be attributed to the French chemist Rene Maurice Gattefosse, who published his findings regarding the healing powers of essential aromatic oils in 1937.
It is contended that aromatherapy and essential oils are useful in the improvement of the psychological well being of the person, as well as being therapeutic for the physical body.
Oils are chosen for their specific properties, when this type of massage is done. Aromatherapy does not only refer to the massaging with essential aromatic oils, but also include the use of such oils in a bath, use in a vaporizer and in inhalation.
Lately more people are interested in aromatherapy because we seem to be moving towards a more health conscious society, where alternative methods are also considered to assist in our general well-being.
Essential oils are beneficial in relieving stress and a multiple of other ailments.
Although aromatherapy could not claim to help alleviate all ailments and problems, people have reported the most amazing results with the use of essential oil treatments.
Producing aromatherapy oils is extremely expensive, as vast amounts of plant material, such as rose petals, are required to produce only a very small quantity of essential oil. (Example: 2,000 kg rose petals will yield only 1 kg oil).
We bring you this page on massage with essential oils to promote a holistic approach, including aromatherapy, for anti-aging, being ageless, increasing energy, vitality and health, while decreasing stress and other ailments.
Use all oils with care and as prescribed.
Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum)
Beneficial in the following: stimulating but large doses can cause problems with circulation. Use with care.
Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
Beneficial in the following: fighting mental and physical fatigue, mental alertness, and muscular aches.
Bay (Pimenta racemosa)
Beneficial in the following: muscle spasm, depression and stress, hair.
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
Beneficial in the following: uplifting helps cheerful emotions, dispels depression, soothing and relaxing.
Beneficial in the following: stimulate and relieves tight muscles, painful muscles, flu.
Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana)
Beneficial as astringent for oily and blemished skin, rheumatism, arthritis, hair. Beneficial in the following: respiratory ailments, expectorant and diuretic, harmonizing the mind, calms anxiety avoid if you suffer from high blood pressure or heart problems.
Chamomile German (Matricaria chamomilla)
Beneficial in the following: soothing for inflamed or irritated skin, skin disorders.
Chamomile Roman (Anthemis Nobilis)
Beneficial in the following: sedative, pain reliever, inflamed skin, relaxation and insomnia, stress reliever, menstrual cramps.
Cassia (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
Beneficial in the following: Used as inhalant for stimulation and depression. Use with extreme care - can be an irritant.
Beneficial in the following: hormonal balance and menopause, restores tranquility. Use with care if consuming any alcohol.
Do NOT use on the skin. Beneficial in the following: fatigue and depression, stimulant for the mind.
Beneficial in the following: use as appetite stimulant and relieves neuralgia, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory.
Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
Beneficial in the following: circulatory and respiratory problems, arthritic pain, aching muscles, menstrual cramps.
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
Beneficial in the following: stimulating and cleansing, eases congestion, mentally stimulating, increase concentration.
Beneficial in the following: expectorant, aging skin, centering of emotions, calming.
Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
Beneficial in the following: hormonal balancing, diuretic, lowering blood sugar, emotional balancing.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Beneficial in the following: soothing aching muscles and joints, upset stomach used externally.
Beneficial in the following: eating disorders, internal happiness, astringent.
Helichrysum (Helichrysum Italicum)
Beneficial in the following: anti-inflammatory, bruising, rash, skin irritation, personal growth.
Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
Beneficial in the following: uplifting the spirit and boosts confidence, sensual.
Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis)
Beneficial in the following: diuretic, purifying, arthritis, rheumatism, emotional overload. Do not use if pregnant.
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Beneficial in the following: burns, abrasions, skin problems, painful muscles, balancing mind and body, assists immune system.
Lavandin (Lavandula x intermedia)
Beneficial in the following: aches and pains, infectious skin disease, eases breathing is a stimulant not a relaxant as lavender.
Lemon (Citrus limonum)
Beneficial in the following: fever reducing, colds and fevers, stimulates the immune system, toning for oily skin and hair, clarity to mind, tonic for circulatory system.
Beneficial in the following: dandruff, greasy hair, visual concentration. Might be irritant to skin.
Lime (Citrus aurantifolia)
Beneficial in the following: energizing and restorative.
Mandarin (Citrus nobilis)
Beneficial in the following: youthful thoughts and feelings, digestive soothing external use.
Marjoram (Origanum marjorana)
Beneficial in the following: warming the skin, antispasmodic, eases muscle pains, calming and sedative, grief. Avoid during pregnancy.
Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
Beneficial in the following: astringent, clearing up respiratory problems, weeping eczema, gum disease, cold sores. Avoid during pregnancy.
Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
Beneficial in the following: anxiety and depression, balances skin, good for aging skin.
Orange (Citrus sinensis)
Beneficial in the following: refreshing and relaxing. Do not apply before going out into the sun.
Palma Rosa (Cymbopogon martini)
Beneficial in the following: skin conditions and release anger and grief, clear thoughts.
Patchouli (Pogostemon patchouli)
Beneficial in the following: cracked skin, acne, dermatitis and eczema, tones and tighten the skin, dandruff, clears the mind.
Beneficial in the following: stimulating and soothes emotions and the digestive system use externally.
Rose (Rosa damascena)
Beneficial in the following: uplifting and soothing, sadness and tiredness.
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Beneficial in the following: memory and concentration, vitality, hair stimulant.
Rosewood (Aniba rosaeaodora)
Beneficial in the following: anti-depressant, balancer of emotions, stimulates cell growth, fights wrinkles and balances hormonal.
Sage (Salvia officinalis)
Beneficial in the following: inflamed skin, oily skin and hair, stimulates hair growth, easing arthritis, sore muscles, joint pain, immune stimulant. Use with care - can be toxic.
Beneficial in the following: immune system, urinary tract, relaxes stress, soothe irritation and lifts depression.
Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi)
Beneficial in the following: balancing skin, youthful skin, insomnia, inner peace.
Tagetes (Tagetes minuta)
Beneficial in the following: fungal infection, candida, corns, foot disorders. Do not use while pregnant.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Beneficial in the following: anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial, immune system, strengthens, skincare.
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
Beneficial in the following: anti-bacterial, anti-infectious and a fungicide, strengthens the nerves, assists the immune system.
Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides)
Beneficial in the following: emotional balancing and anchoring, relaxing, aches and pains.
Beneficial in the following: anti-depressant, relaxation, calms anger and frustration, stabilizes mood swings, eases muscle spasms, treatment of sexual difficulties.
- Buy oils only at reputable dealers and reputable mail order companies oils are expensive and you should not get diluted oils when paying for pure oil.
- Keep essential oils in a cool dark place, in darkened glass bottles, such as amber or cobalt blue glass bottles, to avoid deterioration.
- Do not use internally.
- Do not use essential oils on anybody with a medical condition, and if in any doubt, please consult a licensed medical practitioner.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.