It is essential for the regulation of energy, protein synthesis, blood cholesterol levels, carbohydrate absorption and conversion of carotene to vitamin A.
In Japan, where the daily intake of iodine is about 0.5 - 1.0 mg per day, the incidence of goiter - the non-functioning of the thyroid gland - is the lowest in the world.
When planning your diet around the loss of cellulite, the following items must be kept in mind.
Water-rich fruits such as melon or cantaloupe (spanspek) are great for a quick snack and because of the high water content are great to boost detoxification.
Other fruits to include in your diet are bananas, strawberries, grapes and pears.
Steamed, raw in salads, stir-fry or slightly cooked.
Thinly sliced or grated raw vegetables make a crunchy ingredient to salads and because no cooking is involved, none of the nutrients are damaged or boiled away.
Vegetables to include are radishes, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, spinach, leeks, artichokes, turnips, onions, watercress, string beans, mushrooms and lettuce.
It is best to use fresh vegetables, since even frozen vegetables are processed to a degree in order to freeze them - and compounds, such as monosodium glutamate (a type of salt) may be added to them in this process.
Juices - vegetable and fruit
Some great vegetable juices can be made with a juice extractor, but should you buy ready-made juices, be sure to check the ingredients.
Although fruit juices are refreshing and energy boosting, try and limit the amount of fruit juice per day, as it is high in sugars.
The rule of 6-8 glasses a day still remains a good rule-of-thumb.
If you rather want to work out a more personalized requirement take your body weight and divide by eight (if in kilos) to get to the recommended amount of glasses per day - (divide by 18 if your weight is in pounds).
Some people complain that they do not like the taste of water, and should that be the case with you, add a dash of lemon juice or a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar to the water to just add some sort of flavoring.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not take any fluids during your meal - this interferes with your gastric juices and proper digestion of your food.
We know that it is customary to have a cup of tea or coffee after a meal - but try and stretch the time after your meal to having a drink - the optimum time would be about 2 hours after your meal. Should this prove impossible to do, then try for the longest break possible.
Eggs are high in protein and are easy to prepare but have them boiled or poached and rather stay away from preparing them fried in butter, margarine or oil.
Some people stay away from cheese during diets, but here cheese can be used, but opt for the low fat types.
Cottage cheese made from skimmed milk contains about 4 grams (0.14 oz) of fat per 100 grams (3.5 oz) while regular cheddar contains about 32 grams (1.13 oz) of fat per 100 grams (3.5 oz).
The trend is to always use skimmed milk when on diet, and although the fat content of the milk does make a difference, the blue shade of skim milk makes it extremely unattractive.
If you feel can stomach low-fat or non-fat milk, rather use it, since it would be best, but if you would rather use normal milk, try to contain the amount used as the fat content can be high (3.5 grams - 0.123 oz per 100 gm - about ˝ cup).
People tend to think that yogurt can only be eaten when sweetened and all types of extras added, but a cup of plain Bulgarian or Swiss type yogurt, with some honey if you need some sweetness, is a great way to beat the hunger pangs and to provide nutrition to the body.
Fish, Poultry and Meat
If you eat fish, poultry and meat, try and eat in moderation, and always remove poultry skin as it is very high in fat.
All fat must be trimmed from meat as well.
If you feel that the chicken is tasteless when prepared without the skin, by all means prepare the chicken with the skin intact, but make sure to remove the skin before serving, and remove the temptation to have some during your meal.
All meat, poultry or fish should be prepared by roasting or broiling.
Seafood, which is high in iodine and therefore boosts the thyroid gland is a good choice to include in your meals.
If you do not eat any animal protein, then use a vegetable protein source such as soy or tofu to supply your body with the required protein.
If you are not vegetarian, you may want to try it for a time, as most people switching to a vegetarian diet feel that they have far more energy and experience less bloating or an excessively "full" feeling.
There are various vegetarian cookbooks available which can help you make vegetarian cooking a very interesting experience.
Bread and starches
If you do not have a weight problem, then you could use bread and pastas in moderation in your diet, but if you are at the same time trying to lose excess weight, try to cut this out.
The theory exists, and was promoted by Michael Meyer, that proteins and carbohydrates should not be combined in one meal - a theory that Michael Meyer had successfully proven over many years.
This differs totally from the Atkins diet, where Dr. Atkins promoted the idea of a very high protein diet.
Michael Meyer always maintained for decades that only eating proteins would be unhealthy, a fact that has now been proven to be correct.
He was one of the directors of Ageless and our holding company Sallamander Concepts.
Tinned foods may be handy, but since they need to be processed and preserved, a lot of the nutritional content is lost, and a host of other unwanted chemicals are ingested, and best not taken when trying to lose cellulite.
With our fast-paced living it is so much easier to get something to eat on your way home, but these ready prepared foods contain high amounts of fats and since you do not always know what was used in preparing them, it is best to rather spend the time and make food yourself - it also works better for your finances.
Our bodies need salt to perform normally, and without it, we may feel less than perfect and develop a whole range of health problems.
Salt - normal sodium chloride is an electrolyte and is essential in controlling osmotic water control in the body and other processes, but luckily this compound is supplied in abundance by nature and no need for extra salt is really required.
Excess salt may however contribute to water retention as well as blood pressure problems and should be limited when getting rid of cellulite.
If you feel the need to add some zest to your food - look at adding some herbs instead.
Most foods naturally contain salt and some everyday items actually have a very high salt content and should be used sparingly.
The items include : stock cubes, catsup, prepared horseradish, instant vegetable broths, meat tenderizers, olives, pickles, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
Coffee and tea
As stated previously - do not have any fluids with a meal or directly after a meal. When on a cellulite elimination diet, try and restrict your intake of both coffee and tea to two cups per day. It would be better if not taken at all, but you may feel that you cannot face the day without these beverages.
Should you be able to switch to herbal teas, it would be better, but please DO NOT use laxative teas - they are NOT recommended. Please read the information page about constipation.
The following items have been listed as foods to rather avoid altogether when fighting cellulite, as they are believed to create a large amount of toxins in the body while being digested.
- salami, pastrami and all other highly processed meats
- potato chips and French fries
- mayonnaise and dips
- pork and bacon
- sausage - including Frankfurters, chipolatas and Vienna's
- peanut butter
- olives, crackers and pretzels
- any prepared or smoked meats - including corned beef
- chocolate or any product using chocolate
- cream - fresh or canned
- alcohol - spirits, wine and beer (NO - not even your one glass of wine at night!)
- sardines, caviar and anchovies
- catsup and gravies
- roasted and salted nuts (fresh nuts out of the shell - in moderation is in order)
- any canned foods
- sundaes, malts, shakes and sodas
- ice-cream and baked deserts
When eating, try and chew your food properly before swallowing - this not only helps the digestive system, but is also required for some nutrients to be absorbed properly.
Try and have an enjoyable and relaxing time when eating without added stress of typing on a computer, talking on the phone, watching TV or helping your kids with their homework - when you eat, eat.
Try and have your meals at regular times. Although this may not always be possible, try and plan your day in such a way that meals are taken at the same time of the
day each day.
If you are taking any vitamin or dietary supplements, take them at mealtimes as the absorption is far better when taken with food.
If in doubt check the label or check with the supplier. In this instance you can break the "rule" of no fluids at mealtimes, but then only have enough fluid to take your supplements with.
Limiting your diet to certain foods is difficult - and for this reason people advertising pills that allow you to eat what you want, when you want, and still retain a beautiful body is popular, and these unscrupulous firms make a lot of money on the Achilles' heel of people.
If you want to be honest about it - do you really think that a pill will be the miracle to sort out the food ingredients in your stomach and allow only the good ones from entering your system?
Will this pill only get rid of the bad fats, while allowing the fats that are essential to your well-being to enter your system?
No - unfortunately you need to take responsibility for your actions.
Although society has changed in the last couple of decades where consumers expect someone else to take responsibility, the fact still remains that:
you are responsible for yourself
So if you want to achieve this great looking body, our Ageless Cellulite Gel will remove and prevent it, but you need to make lifestyle changes if you do not want to have a recurrence of this.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.
Other articles of interest