This page contains information on white lily and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as burns, wound healing, treating damaged and irritated tissue and rejuvenating the skin.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you.
For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
White lily was a favorite with the ancient Greeks and Romans and was dedicated to the Madonna in the early days of Christianity (hence the name Madonna lily).
It is not often used in commercial products, as it is a relatively scarce material.
Lilium candidum L. belongs to the Liliaceae family. It grows throughout Mediterranean regions and western Asia. It probably originated in Persia and Syria. Although often cultivated as a garden plant, it can be found spontaneously growing in the fields around gardens and country houses.
White lily is a perennial plant growing up to 60-150 cm in height. It’s a bulb species with large scaly white bulbs, about 1 m tall stalks, and linear leaves; some leaves attached to the base of the stalk, spreading around it, other leaves erect, lanceolate, with slightly dentate margins.
Flowers are rather large and strikingly white. Each flower has six slightly curved petals and six stamens with white filaments and long yellow anthers.
The strongly aromatic white lilies bloom from May onwards. Seeds can be harvested from August to September. Bulbs are odorless, with a bitter and mucilaginous taste. Bulbs are harvested in August and can be used fresh or dried. Bulbs and flowers are the parts of the white lily plant that are used for therapeutic purposes.
The essential oil, extracted from flowers (0,3%), is rich in vanillin (up to 2,5%), p- hydroxy-m-methoxytoluene (up to 50%), p-cresol, linalol, terpineol, phenylethyl alcohol and its esters, with acetic, palmitic, benzoic, propionic and cinnamic acids. Flowers also contain flavonoids (kaempherol and its derivatives), lilaline, jatrophine and carotenoids.
Bulbs contain starch (about 14%), soluble polysaccharides (glucomannan)4, phytosterols, pyrrolic alkaloids, amino acids, such as g-methylene glutamic acid, and tannins. 2. d- methylene glutamic acid can be found in the bulb scales. By blooming time, bulbs and roots contain abundant amounts of the later acid, together with its lactone derivative - a-methylene-butyrolactone - and mineral salts, noticeably boron. Novel saponins of the spirostanol and furostanol types have been identified in Lilium candidum bulbs.
The bulb of the plant is used.
It is an astringent mucilaginous herb that heals damaged and irritated skin and tissue.
- Internal use
- Has been used internally for female complaints and dropsy, but its greatest value is in external application.
- External use
- It is used as an emollient cataplasm for tumors, ulcers and external inflammation, as well as for tumors, corns, burns and scalds.
- It is especially helpful in healing burns and wounds, as it helps to effect a cure, but without leaving any scar.
- Bulbs have traditionally been applied as a poultice for its properties as a demulcent and abscess or boil reliever.
- It has also been used to treat ulcers, wounds and burnt skin. White lily vinegar is popularly used against warts.
- Some recent studies show that the saponins present in the bulbs of Lilium candidum L. can inhibit epidermal carcinogenesis promoters.
- Lily flowers extract is used in cosmetics to treat cuperosis.
- The chemical composition of bulbs (saponins and polysaccharides) give the extract soothing, anti-inflammatory and protective properties.
- The extract also has hydrating and emollient properties (polysaccharides). Therefore, it can be added to all types of formulations aimed at dry, irritated or sensitive skin.
- Soluble polysaccharides have a filmogenic action on skin, which promotes skin hydration. They act by holding water, consequently maintaining the right moisture level in the horny layer, which in turn improves skin flexibility.
- Polysaccharides are included in the group of hydrocolloids. These substances act by increasing viscosity, stabilizing emulsions and maintaining optimal moisture levels.
- Use of essential oil
- Essential oil is used in the perfume industry.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.