Herbs have become a very popular way for people to treat their aches and pains, and with very good reason.
Natural versus synthetic
Natural growing herbs differ from synthetic compounds, as the natural herb contains many ingredients and compounds that work together and in most cases produce a synergistic effect.
A good example is Meadowsweet, which contains salicylates, which is like aspirin, but at the same time contains other
healing compounds that would, in this example, help to buffer and protect the mucous membranes from the corrosive effect of the salicylates – something that you do not get with synthetically produced compounds. With this in mind it makes perfect sense to rather use natural materials, since they are more "whole" - treating the problem and preventing unwanted side effects - as in the salicylate example cited.
The compounds in herbs are powerful, and because of this, herbs must be taken and used in formulations in moderation, as excess, just like the pure extract of the active component, can have a hazardous effect.
Just because it is natural does not mean that it is always safe – and due care must be taken.
When looking at using herbs, keep in mind that the entire plant cannot always be used. This varies from plant to plant, where some types allow the entire plant to be used, and other types, only selected parts, such as leaves or flowers, can be used.
A point in case is Elderflower – the flower has some wonderful therapeutic properties for internal use such as relieving mucus etc., yet the leaves and raw berries can be poisonous when
taken internally. The leaves can however be used externally for burns and the ripe berries are used in juices and sauces.
Pregnant mothers, the elderly, babies, people with medical conditions or on certain medication, must first consult their health practitioner before using herbal compounds to treat illnesses.
For more information on herbs that must be avoided during pregnancy and lactation, please click here.
Never mind how miraculous some medicinal herbs are, they can interact / interfere with certain drugs, and with this in mind we have compiled a simple table to use as a guide. To access this information regarding medicinal herb and drug interaction, please click here.
We refer to any drink made by infusing botanic material (be that leaves, seeds, flowers, roots etc) as a "herbal tea".
To be totally correct you would break this down to
A tea is a tisane (infusion) made from the tea bush (Camellia sinensis) and any herbal infusion is then really a tisane or ptisan.
A herbal tea can be made from fresh or dried botanic material - be that leaves, flowers, seeds or roots and is made by pouring boiling water over the material and letting it steep for a few minutes.
The seeds and roots normally require the mixture to be boiled to release the ingredients. The "tea" infusion or tisane is then strained, sweetened with honey if so desired, and served.
A decoction normally involves mashing the botanical material first and then boiling it in water to extract the organic compounds and differ from tisanes or herbal teas in that they are normally boiled.
- A compress is made by soaking a clean cloth in a herbal infusion, decoction or a diluted tincture.
- They are made by using 2.5 oz (60 g) of fresh herbs or 1.25 oz (30 g) of dried herbal material and simmering it in 18 fl oz (500 ml) of water for atleast 20 minutes. Bark and root are very suitable types of material to use when making a decoction.
- The decoction must be used the same day it is made and excess should be discarded.
- Infusions (herbal teas)
- Prepare an infusion by pouring 18 fl oz (500 ml) near-boiling water over 3 oz (75 g) fresh herb or 1.25 oz (30 g) dried herb and let it steep for 5 minutes. Flowers and leaves are suitable when making an infusion.
- The infusion must be used the same day it is made and excess should be discarded.
- For more on herbal tea.
- Liquid extracts
- These are made by using one part alcohol to one part herbal material to create pharmaceutical grade concentrates.
- Macerated / Infused liquid
- This can be made by steeping 1 oz (25 g) dried herbal material in 18 fl oz (500 ml) water at room temperature for at least 12 hours and then straining it.
- Macerated / Infused oils
- Oils can be made from herbs, using fresh or dried material. Heat 18 fl oz (500 ml) oil over boiling water – bain-marie style (NOT directly on an electric plate or gas, and while doing this, ensure that there is always water in the pot underneath heating the oil).
- To this oil you should add 27 oz (750 g) fresh, or 9 oz (250 g) dried herbal material – and keep it heated for 3 hours.
- After cooling the plant material is strained. Take a jar and fill it with fresh herbs and use enough of the oil to cover the material, and then leave for 3 weeks to diffuse.
- They can be made by heating solid fats or petroleum jelly over boiling water (as above with the macerated oils) and adding 2.5 oz (60 g) dried material to 18 fl oz (500 ml) of fat/petroleum jelly.
- This mixture must be warmed over the boiling water for 3 hours and then strained and decanted into jars.
- This is made by making a paste from dried or fresh herbal material (finely chopped) and/or powdered material by mixing it in water and heating it to a temperature where it is still bearable to apply to the skin.
- The poultice is applied to the skin without burning the skin, and replacing when cooled down.
- Powdered herbs
- Herbs can be powdered when dry, to mix with fluid when taken, but since the taste is not always acceptable, this process is often used in the supplement/pharmaceutical industry for making pills and capsules.
- These are infusions or decoctions mixed with sugar to promote a more palatable taste. This also helps to preserve the herbs. It is normally created by using 18 fl oz (500 ml) fluid to 18 oz (500 g) sugar.
- The same process is followed as when making macerated oils, but instead of oils, a water/alcohol mix is used to extract the active ingredients of the herb in question. This is an effective way to extract the constituents. Tinctures are stronger than infusions or decoctions and are made by using one part herbal material to four parts alcohol.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Detox capsules
- Our modern day lifestyle exposes us to many unwanted additive and our diet also places stress on the body. To help the body get rid of toxins and waste materials naturally we combined fennel, basil, celery and parsley to help the body remove these toxins. It peps-up your metabolism and helps the bladder, kidneys and liver to do their work more effectively.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- This is the most popular essential oil and with good reason. Lavender oil is a superb product to use on burns, insect bites, sunburn, wounds and other skin complaints and irritations. Lavender oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used neat (not diluted) on the skin, and is great to help with regeneration and rejuvenation of skin cells. Emotionally it has a calming and soothing effect and is an exceptionally pleasant smelling oil.
- Tea tree oil
- Once used, you will always have a bottle of tea tree essential oil handy. It deals effectively with bacteria, fungi and viruses. Our oil surpasses the “Australian Standard” by having less than 15% 1,8 cineole and more than 30% of Terpinen-4-ol. This powerful essential oil is effective in various ways to fight infections and skin problems.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.