This page contains information on alfalfa and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems such as menopause discomfort, cancer fighting and lowering cholesterol.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Lucerne, Chilean clover and buffalo grass.
It is a slim bushy perennial with blue-green trifoliate leaves and mauve to purple flowers with seeds in sickle-shaped pods.
The stems and leaves are used as well as the sprouts from the seeds.
Cooling, sweet, and astringent herb that cleanses toxins from tissues, is diuretic, controls bleeding, and lowers cholesterol levels. Influences hormones and the circulatory and urinary systems.
It is rich in minerals and vitamins and contain organic acids, free amino acids, non-protein amino acids (such as canavinine), strachydrine, coumarins, isoflavonoids, saponins and steroids such as b-sitosterol, campesterol, stigamsterol and others. It contains vitamins A, D, E and K as well as chlorophyll and carotene and minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium.
People using antibiotics such as amoxicillin, gentamicin, streptomycin and tetracycline can benefit from this, as it helps to restore the level of vitamin K which is depleted when using these antibiotics as well as cholesterol lowering drugs, steroids as well as anti-seizure medication.
- Internal use
- Modern research is reported to show that alfalfa is useful as an agent in the fight against
- atherosclerosis and heart disease
- It is also used to treat drug and alcohol dependency and since it alkalizes the body, helps with detoxification.
- Animal studies are reported to show that alfalfa leaves help to reduce blood cholesterol levels and plaque formation on the artery walls, and these studies have lead researchers to believe that the herb is effective in treating heart disease and preventing strokes, as well as lowering cholesterol levels.
- An article in the "Journal of the National Cancer Institute" reported that alfalfa helps to bind carcinogens in the colon to speed elimination and is said to be effective in eliminating bad breath, as it contains chlorophyll.
- In studies it showed that an extract of alfalfa increased the production of white blood cells, including granulocytes, leukocytes and T cells - which is your first line of defense against infection.
- After anti-cancer treatment with chemotherapy (containing cyclophosphamide such as in Cytoxan and Neosar) it was found in animal studies that alfalfa extract completely reversed the immune depression caused by the drugs.
- Diabetics that have a problem responding to insulin, have found benefit from using alfalfa and manganese.
- The sprouts of the seeds contain phytoestrogen that can help to block the body's estrogen receptor sites, thereby reducing the effect of the estrogen produced by the body.
- Alfalfa seeds contain homostachydrine and stachydrine, which promote menstruation and may cause miscarriage. The herb should however not be regarded as an effective contraceptive.
- Homeopaths and herbalists use alfalfa to treat anemia, debility in convalescence, feminine disorders relating to hormonal imbalance and menopausal complaints.
- Alfalfa contains vitamin K which is helpful to promote normal blood clotting and vitamin K (as K2) has been found to help prevent bone loss which is coupled to estrogen deficiency and also helps to increase the formation of new bone.
- The herbs enzymes are also active in promoting food assimilation in the body and although it is used in folk medicine as a treatment for stomach ulcers, it has not been conclusively proven, yet are still used for that purpose as well.
- External use
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
Not to be taken during pregnancy and also contraindicated in autoimmune diseases or when using blood thinning or anticoagulant medication such as warfarin.
Not recommended for use as a contraceptive and the canavinine in alfalfa has been linked to reactivating lupus erythenatosus (SLE) and reversible pancytopenia and the seeds should not be taken if you suffer from, or have suffered from this disease.
Excessive intake may cause photosensitivity, and breakdown of red blood cells.
A medical practitioners advice should be sought before eating massive alfalfa, in cases of anemia.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.
Articles of interest