Angelica archangelica (European)
Angelica atropurpurea (American)
Angelica polymorpha var. sinensis (Chinese)
This page contains information on angelica and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments, to treat ailments and problems such as menstrual and menopausal problems, digestive ailments and poor circulation. It also helps to "purify the blood".
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Angelica archangelica (European)
A. atropurpurea (American)
A. polymorpha var. sinensis (Chinese) - also known as A. sinensis
Other species are also found, but have not been included in our database.
Wild celery, masterwort and dang gui (China).
Angelica is a robust, aromatic, short-lived perennial with thick, hollow stems and long-stalked, deeply divided leaves, with tiny green-white flowers appearing, followed by ovate ridged seeds.
The leaves, stems, roots, seeds, and oil are used.
Angelica is a bittersweet, aromatic, and anti-inflammatory herb thatincreases perspiration, lowers fever, and has anti spasmodic and expectorant properties.
The plant is rich in furano-coumarins, including xanthotoxin, imperatorin, angelicin, archangelin as well as coumarins such as umbelliferone, osthol, osthenol. The osthol is mainly found in the roots and the imperatorin in the fruit.
The roots of the A. sinensis are known as dang gui and the roots of A. dahurica as bai zhi in traditional Chinese medicine, where is it used for a general tonic and is also known as "woman's ginseng".
- Internal use
- Angelica is mostly used for:
- Some studies of the Chinese species have found that it helps to relieve menopausal discomforts. It is used as a phytoestrogen and is used to balance estrogen levels in the body by reducing high estrogen levels, as well as increasing low estrogen levels.
- Due to the estrogen balancing effect it has on the body it is particularly helpful in fighting menopausal problems, specifically hot flushes.
- It also has uterine tonic qualities and is used to relieve uterine cramps.
- Asian researchers report that Chinese angelica helps blood to clot (contra indicating the use of the herb for people with heart conditions), and improves liver function in people with chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis.
- Preliminary research in China has found that the herb may help increase the production of red blood cells, making the herb a possible remedy for anemia.
- It helps to dilate coronary vessels and relieve vasospasm, thereby having a blood pressure-lowering effect, which is thought to be due to calcium channel antagonism.
- Chinese angelica as well as A. acutiloba (Japanese angelica) have nearly double the analgesic and pain relieving effect than that of aspirin, making it a natural to use for headaches, arthritis, trauma and cramps.
- The European species of Angelica is used internally to combat bronchitis, mucus, and influenza, as it soothes the bronchial smooth muscle.
- The herb is also used to combat digestive problems, gastric ulcers, anorexia, and migraines.
- It is a traditional medicine to be used against allergies and allergic symptoms to a variety of substances; including pollen, dust, animal dander, foods etc. as it has the ability to inhibit the production of allergy-related antibodies.
- The coumarins contained in angelica have shown some good immune stimulating action by stimulating the production of white blood cells, to fight off foreign particles, as well as cancerous cells, which in turn fights tumors or tumor forming cells. It is also used to stimulate the production of interferon in the body.
- Angelica leaves and stems are crystallized to be used as sweets and to decorate cakes.
- Steamed stems can be eaten with butter, and chopped stems add flavor to roast pork.
- External use
- The external uses of the European herb include poultices for
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
- The essential oil made from angelica root is used as an all-over tonic, purifying the blood, "grounding" the person and for digestive problems.
- It is a boost for the lymphatic system, and a valuable oil to use after illness, to help clear the body of toxins. It has some excellent anti-fungal properties, yet is lacking in antimicrobial activity.
Not to be taken internally by pregnant women, or people suffering from diabetes or heart problems.
Exposure to sunlight while taking medicinal doses of angelica may cause a rash, due to increased photosensitivity. Using the root essential oil may also cause photo toxicity when exposed to sunlight directly after application.
Conflicting reports have been received regarding an ingredient of Angelica called psoralens.
"Science" journal published an article, which advised against the internal use of angelica, as psoralens may promote the growth of tumors, while on the other hand, animal studies have shown that alpha-angelica lactone (found in angelica) has an anticancer effect.
It is therefore advised that people with a history of cancer not take the herb until these questions have been resolved.
Angelica roots are poisonous when fresh, but drying eliminates the poison and dried angelica is therefore safe to use.
If you harvest herbs from the wild, please take extreme care when looking for angelica, as water hemlock looks almost like angelica. Water hemlock is an extremely poisonous plant and if taken by mistake, immediate medical assistance must be obtained.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.