This page contains information on barberry and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments, to treat ailments and problems, such as assisting in liver detoxification, fighting cancer, promoting anti-aging and reducing inflammation and controlling blood pressure.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Berberry, berberis, jaundice berry, and common barberry.
Deciduous scrubby herb with gray-yellow grooved stem and yellow roots, which bear 3-pronged spines and toothed leaves, with yellow flowers followed by oval red fruits.
The fresh and dried fruits are used of (Berberidis fructus), the stem bark (Berberidis cortex), root bark (Berberidis radicis cortex), as well as the root (Berberidis radix) .
A bitter, stimulating, and sedative and detoxifying herb, that is effective against disease-causing organisms, is a liver stimulant and a digestive tonic.
It contains several isoquinoline and protoberberine alkaloids, including berberine, columbamine, jatrorrhizine and palmitine - while the ripe berries are nearly free of alkaloids.
- Internal use
- Barberry has a high concentration of berberine, which has remarkable disease and infection fighting properties and good for eye health.
- Studies have been reported that show that it kills organisms that cause
- wound infections (staphylococcus and streptococcus),
- diarrhea (salmonella and shigella)
- dysentery (Entamoeba histolytica)
- giardiasis ((Giardia lamblia)
- urinary tract infections (Escherichia coli)
- vaginal yeast infections (Candida albicans)
- Berberine stimulates the macrophages (white blood cells that devour microorganisms) and is an excellent immune system booster.
- Barberry is traditionally used as a liver tonic and for detoxification and the root bark has some very good liver stimulant properties, which increase liver functioning and to treat gallstones.
- Researchers in Pakistan did a study on this, using rats that had artificially induced liver damage. This caused the rats liver enzymes to increase, and barberry was shown to significantly reduce the enzyme levels after ingestion by the rats.
- Barberry is used by naturopaths and herbalists to treat
- dysentery and diarrhea
- high blood pressure
- and as supportive therapy in chemotherapy.
- The ripe fruits are sour and are made into a jelly served with lamb.
- Berries are also dried and served in Iranian rice dishes, stuffing and omelets, made into jams in France, and the young leaves are dried and brewed as a tea.
- External use
- Barberry ointment was shown to significantly reduce skin eruptions in psoriasis during a German study.
- Berberine is used in eye ointment to treat conjunctivitis and sensitive eyes.
- Barberry also contains chemicals that reportedly enlarge blood vessels, thereby reducing blood pressure.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
Use in consultation with a medical practitioner. If taken in excess, barberry may cause nausea, vomiting, convulsions, low blood pressure, abnormally low heartbeat and breathing.
Not to be taken during pregnancy or when trying to conceive.
When taken internally it may counteract short-acting blood thinners.
Men who have problems in fathering a child should avoid barberry, as it contains palmitine hydroxide which could interfere with the maturation of sperm cells which may contribute to sterility.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.