The common beetroot that is normally cooked and sliced or grated for salad is from the species Beta Vulgaris and the family Chenopodiaceae. Beetroot is commonly cooked, but the juice of raw beetroot contains a host of health benefits, and is classed as a “super food” in today’s nutritional jargon.
Since making beetroot juice with your juice extractor is a messy affair, we decided to offer an easier option, by taking raw beetroot juice, freeze drying it (so no active compound is harmed or damaged) and thereby make taking a glass of beetroot juice easy. All you need to do is to add a teaspoon of the freeze-dried powder to water and to drink it.
It does not really have a very strong taste and is pleasant to drink – it has a sweet and earthy taste. Our director
Duane Milne takes a glass of beetroot juice daily and also adds a teaspoon of barley grass to the juice, to create an invigorating easy-to-make raw vegetable drink.
What is important to know is that beetroot juice is high in nitrate – which is changed to nitrite, by bacterial anaerobes found on the surface of the tongue.
Beetroot juice contains a host of nutritional compounds.
Beetroot juice contains magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium and calcium as well as small amounts of copper, selenium, zinc, iron and manganese.
It contains trace amounts of various amino acids (including D-amino acids [Alpha Amino Acids]) which help to build proteins and for use by the body.
Various antioxidants (including flavonoids and carotenoids) are found in the juice. They fight and destroy free radicals in the body and help to fight premature aging and to maintain a healthy body and mind.
Raw freeze-dried beetroot juice also provides vitamins A, B1, B2 , B3, C and folic acid [folate] (B9).
The deep red color is produced by betacyanin and is seen as an anti-cancer agent for colon cancer. Silica is also present which helps to utilize the calcium in the body and strengthens the bones, hair and skin. Also of importance is the glycine betaine contained in beetroot juice.
The daily intake of beetroot juice has a host of health benefits, and these benefits are not merely folk-lore or based on anecdotal evidence, but are supported by good solid clinical investigation.
Beetroot juice lowers blood pressure within an hour of consuming it and therefore helps to maintain a healthy blood pressure, which in turn helps to prevent heart attack, stroke and other cardiovascular problems.
The iron content in the juice is most useful to people who have problems with low hemoglobin and anemia.
It aids in the absorption of iron, which increases the blood count and improves blood circulation and the oxygen-carrying capacity of erythrocytes (the red blood cells).
Heterocyclic aromatic amines (HAAs) can be formed during the cooking of meat and fish and are associated with an increased risk for cancer, but the juice of beetroot can help to negate this problem.
The betacyanin contained in beetroot (the beetroot’s deep red color pigment) has also been linked to fight cancers. Studies showed that it is helpful in reducing precancerous esophageal lesions and tumors.
The Betanin in beetroot has proven effective in fighting both skin tumors and liver tumors in a study done on mice - where the cancers were artificially created and then treated with beetroot.
One study suggests that cigarette smokers may want to look at adding beetroot juice to their diet, as it helps to expel cancer forming agents.
In a German study, which looked at alternative treatments used by cancer patients, beetroot juice rated the most popular of all alternative cancer treatments.
The main factor to keep in mind, when reading about all the positive effects of beetroot juice, is that it is in most areas effective, since it contains extremely active antioxidants and phenolic compounds.
The high anti-oxidant content will help prevent cell and DNA damage and help remove damaging and aging free radicals.
Taking the juice is also associated with improving the digestive health as well as the body's metabolism. Apart from helping with the digestion of food, especially fat digestion, it also stimulates the nerves in the intestine.
The nutrient also helps individuals with hypochlorhydria, a condition causing abnormally low levels of stomach acid, by increasing stomach acidity.
Beetroot is helpful in creating healthy red blood cells and helps to maximize the amount of oxygen being carried on the red blood cells.
It also increases the efficient uptake of oxygen and during exercise it helps that less oxygen is required – leading to far more stamina and staying power.
The reduced consumption of oxygen by the muscles during exercise and physical activity has important implications for our understanding of the factors that regulate mitochondrial respiration (cell functioning) and muscle contractile energetics in humans.
In other words – this means less fatigue, higher endurance and increased stamina, which provides more vitality and energy to live a full and energetic life.
The magnesium contained in the juice can also help to ease muscle tension, stress and anxiety.
When beetroot was used on Epstein-Barr virus (glandular fever) early antigen (EBV-EA) induction, using Raji cells, revealed a high order of activity – and taking beetroot juice could therefore be of benefit to people suffering from glandular fever / Epstein Barr infection.
In a clinical trial it was concluded that beetroot juice could help the metabolism in obese and overweight patients and that the inclusion of the juice could be important when treating obesity in overweight people holistically.
A clinical study showed that the introduction of beetroot juice helped the liver detoxify and clear it from oxidative stress, while also protecting the liver cell’s DNA.
The glycine betaine and methionine contained in the juice supports liver detoxification and stimulates the function of liver cells. It also protects the liver and bile ducts, thereby improving liver, kidney and bladder functioning and overall health.
Beet juice benefits the liver by protecting it against fatty depositions caused by alcohol abuse, protein deficiency etc.
From the above it is easy to see why beetroot juice is used as a detoxifying agent, or as part of a detox mixture.
Since it is a powerful antioxidant, the ripple effect of taking beet juice will also benefit the skin and protect it from premature aging due to the free-radical neutralizing effect the antioxidants have.
The juice effectively boosts the immune system and fights inflammation (which leads to premature aging). Since the immune system is supported by this humble vegetable, it is worthwhile to include the raw juice in the diet, specifically when a person is prone to recurrent infections or has a deficient immune system.
The older generation used to talk about “building-up your strength” after illness or operations – and taking the juice will achieve just that.
Beetroot juice is helpful in fighting any inflammatory diseases, and if you have any type of inflammation it may be worthwhile to include it in your daily supplementation.
It must be kept in mind that inflammatory processes are one of the main causes of premature aging, and age related diseases.
Although not clinically verified, people do believe that the carotenoids contained in beet juice will help increase the quality, thickness and gloss of hair, and to fight dandruff.
What is clinically proven is that it assists with proper blood circulation. This will then also help to nourish the hair follicle and it may just be true that better quality hair can be produced. The natural silica in beetroot may also support the belief that it improves the general health and gloss of the hair.
Ingesting beetroot juice increases blood flow to the brain, which in older adults is very important, and may help in halting the progress of dementia. It also improves cognitive (mental) functioning.
In studies it was found that blood flow to the frontal lobes of the brain in older people improved in as little as four (4) days. The frontal lobes of the brain are the part involved in dementia and reduced mental functioning – and is a critical part of the brain.
After the catastrophe at Chernobyl, Russian scientists searched for compounds that could be used as radiation protectors and found that concentrates of dietary fibers (CDF) in beetroot (containing lignin) are a very effective agent when used for radiation protection and radiation poisoning.
If you have problems with your kidneys or gall bladder it is advisable to first contact your medical practitioner before taking beetroot juice on a daily basis, as the juice is rich in oxalate.
Please also check if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in beetroot juice.
After consumption of the juice, you may have red urine (Beeturia) and red stools, but this is a normal manifestation when taking beetroot juice.
- A easy and no-mess way of preparing beetroot juice.
- All natural and not unpleasant tasting - most people describe it as an
- Freeze dried.
- No preservatives
- One teaspoon in a glass of water on wakening is all you need to get your
natural boost of daily vitality.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.