This page contains information on blackberry and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments, to treat ailments and problems, such as hemorrhoids (piles), cystitis and wounds, as well as mouth ulcers.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Bramble, blackberry, dewberry, and goutberry.
Raspberry - Rubus idaeus - of the same family and similar properties, bears a pinkish red fruit when ripe instead of the black fruits born by the blackberry.
Semi-evergreen shrub that is variable, with prickly stems and split leaves. White to pink flowers appear in clusters in summer, followed by succulent black fruits.
The fruits are used, but it is the enzymatically fermented leaves that are mostly used in herbal medicine.
Acerbic, tonic herb with slightly diuretic properties.
The leaves contain about 10% hydrolysable tannins (gallotannins and dimeric ellagitannins) and flavonoids.
The tannins contained in the leaves have a clearly astringent effect, as well as anti-diarrheic properties, and although clinical proof may be lacking, it is also used as for its uterine tonic activity - causing contractions of the uterine muscles.
- Internal use
- Blackberry fruit contain vast amounts of anthocyanocides, which are found in the pigment that gives the berries their color.
- The leaves are used for treating non-specific acute diarrhea, as well as inflammation of the mouth and throat.
- It is also reported to be helpful in reducing blood sugar levels and is a good source of the vitamins C and E and the mineral, selenium.
- Herbalists and naturopaths use blackberry leaves to treat
- Raspberry leaves are used traditionally to ease labor in childbirth, which would under-write the uteronic activity claim of this herb.
- The fruits are eaten raw or cooked, or made into jam or jellies, and wine. Also used to color red wine and to add flavor to vinegar.
- External use
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
There are conflicting reports regarding the pro and anti-cancer effects of the tannins in blackberries, but the compounds have reportedly not been found to cause tumors in humans if taken in small quantities.
Some studies have shown a correlation between the high incidence of stomach cancer in Asian people and the quantity of tea they consume, but this is discounted by reports that show that British people also drink large quantities of tea and the incidence of stomach cancer amongst the British is considered normal. It is suggested that this is because the British add milk to their tea (milk is said to neutralize the tannins), while the majority of Asians do not.
Bearing this in mind, it is recommended that people suffering from cancer, or having a history of cancer, specifically colon and or stomach cancer, should not ingest excessive amounts of blackberry tea.
The tannins in blackberry leaves could cause distress, nausea, and vomiting if taken in large quantities.
Therapeutic doses of the leaves are not recommended for use during pregnancy, or when nursing a baby, or if allergic.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.