This page contains information on centella and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems such as slow healing wounds, improving circulation, boosting skin health, help to prevent scarring in healing wounds and promoting longevity.
Genus and specie
It is a trailing herb that loves moist places and has rounded simple leaves, slender stems and inconspicuous flowers form in short clusters.
The herb centella has been used extensively, internally and externally, as a medicine since the 17th century in Africa, India, the Philippines, Java and France.
Pennywort (Centella Asiatica) or wild violet as it is also known, is indigenous to Africa, India and Australia.
The ancient Indians ate two leaves a day for anti-aging and for tired looking skin. They also used it to treat leprosy sores, syphilis, leg ulcers, slow-healing wounds, venereal sores, tuberculosis, skin lesions and psoriasis.
It is called the tiger herb in India, due to the fact that wounded tigers roll themselves in Centella.
In Africa they used it to cure syphilis and to treat open and infected wounds. Chinese physicians used it for longevity and to treat fevers, colds and influenza.
The entire plant can be used.
It has excellent properties that deal with venous insufficiency, wound healing and which act as a general tonic.
The main compounds in Centella are the triterpenes asiatic and madecassic acid, together with triterpenoid ester glycosides, known as asiaticoside and brahminoside, while the volatile principle in the plant contains p-cymol, b-caryophyllene and farnesene.
The main use of centella is in wound healing and promoting healthy tissue. Itis used to prevent the formation of scar tissue as well as to treat leprous ulcers. It is also used to treat stomach and duodenal ulcers, while acting as a multifunctional tonic - better known as an adaptogen.
- Internal use
- External use
- The asiaticosides and triterpenes have modulating properties on the development and metabolism of connective tissue, improve the synthesis of collagen and other tissue proteins by modulating the action of fibroblasts in the vein wall, and stimulate collagen remodeling in and around the venous wall.
- They therefore improve wound repair, with a better re-epithialisation and a normalization of perivascular connective tissue, thus allowing an improvement of the venous wall tone and elasticity.
- It is found that in poor connective tissue conditions, the triterpenes are able to renew the collagen, in quantity and quality, and restore tissue firmness and skin elasticity, improving skin appearance and comfort.
- Apart from this it also has anti-psoriatic properties.
- The saponins also prevent excessive scar formation, by modulating and slowing down the excessive production of collagen (the material that makes up connective tissue) at the wound site and also increases the concentration of antioxidants in wounds.
- Various studies have supported these actions of centella and furthermore have been shown to be effective in treating surgical wounds, skin grafts, gangrene, traumatic injuries, burns, chronic skin lesions, ulcers and even leprosy wounds.
- It has great importance in preventing and correcting venous insufficiency.
- It helps provide treatment for leprosy and skin tuberculosis, as the bacteria are coated in a wax-like substance that the body's immune system cannot penetrate, but this waxy coating is dissolved by centella, thereby allowing the body's immune system to destroy the bacteria.
- In a clinical trial it was also shown that asiaticoside significantly improved wound healing.
- For the above it is clear to see why this herb is so often used for :
- Laboratory tests proved that it contains compounds that exert a balancing effect on connective tissue.
- When Centella Asiatica was used in treatment of patients with second or third degree burns, the results were excellent. The extract used, prevented or limited the shrinkage and swelling of the skin, caused by infection, and inhibited scar formation, increasing healing and reducing fibrosis.
- Use of essential oil
The systemic use of centella, where it is taken orally, has not shown side effects, but to err on the side of safety it is best not taken when pregnant. When used topically some infrequent cases of dermatitis were reported.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.