Cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon)
Cinnamomum zeylanicum (verum)
This page contains information on cinnamon and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems such as to promote the digestive and lymphatic system, tighten loose skin and its warming action.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
The cinnamon tree is an evergreen tree with light brown, papery bark and leathery leaves. The tree shows small, yellow-white clusters of flowers in summer, after which oval, purple berries appear.
The inner bark, leaves, and oil are used for herbal preparations and for culinary purposes.
Cinnamon is a pungent, sweet smelling, warming herb that stimulates the circulation, relieves spasms, and helps to control high blood pressure, bleeding and indigestion.
It contains a volatile oil which is obtained from the leaf or the bark. The oil obtained from the bark contains cinnamaldehyde and smaller amounts of trans-cinnamic acid, o-methoxycinnamaldehyde, eugenol and monoterpenoids. The oil from the leaf contains far smaller amounts of cinnamic aldehyde and higher quantities of eugenol, eugenol acetate and benzyl benzoate. Furthermore, it contains procyanidins, diterpenes, phenylpropanoids and polysaccharides.
This herb has carminative, antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties and is used for dyspeptic complaints, loss of appetite and to gain weight.
- Internal use
- Cinnamon is used internally to stop digestive problems - especially when accompanied by flatulence and cramping, as well as diarrhea, vomiting and gastroenteritis.
- Its warming action is used to to treat colds and flu as well as arthritis and rheumatism.
- External use
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
- Cinnamon leaf oil is less likely to cause skin reaction, than the oil made from the bark and bud.
- NOTE: The essential oil made from the bark is considered a dermal toxin, irritant and sensitizer and should not be used in aromatherapy.
- When used extremely sparingly the oil can have a strengthening effect on the feeling of weakness. Its warming action is great when treating influenza.
- It has a positive effect on the digestive and lymphatic systems and tones the body.
- On the skin it has an astringent effect and it helps to tighten loose skin.
- Should not be used in a bath as it can irritate mucus membranes.
- It has the following properties: analgesic, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, cardiac, carminative, emmenagogue, insecticide, stimulant, stomachic, and tonic.
This herb should NOT be used by pregnant women, or anybody suffering from stomach or duodenal ulcers.
Use cinnamon essential oil in very small quantities as it could sensitize the skin, and in high concentration can cause convulsions.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.