Cloves (ding xiang)
formerly Eugenia caryophyllata
This page contains information on cloves and how they are used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as impotence, toothaches and others in Chinese medicine.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Syzygium aromaticum- formerly Eugenia caryophyllata
Clavos, caryophyllus as well as Ding xiang.
Clove trees are small, bushy and evergreen, with shiny, leathery, lance-like leaves. Fragrant, pink-white flowers that fall on opening and a tuft of yellow stamens are produced in late summer, followed by purple berries.
The dried flower buds (Caryophylli floss) are used for medicinal and culinary purposes and an essential oil is also distilled.
Cloves are a spicy, warming herb that relieve pain, control nausea and vomiting, improve digestion, protect against internal parasites, cause uterine contractions and are strongly antiseptic.
They contain flavonoids, galloytannins, phenolic acids and triterpenes, while the oil contains eugenol, eugenyl acetate and b-caryophyllene.
The eugenol contained inhibits prostaglandin formation, which explains the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, but the herb has further antiseptic, antispasmodic and carminative properties.
- Internal use
- It is used for digestive problems, helping the smooth muscle lining the digestive tract to relax.
- Cloves also kill intestinal parasites and act as an antimicrobial agent against fungi and bacteria.
- It has also been suggested that cloves have an antihistamine action as well.
- In Chinese medicine it is used for nausea, vomiting, impotence as well as hiccups.
- In folk medicine a clove is placed on the gum where toothache is present, and although it is effective, should not be done too much for too long.
- External use
- Cloves are used for toothache, in dental hygiene, and to treat insect bites.
- It is also used to help with rheumatism, as well as myalgia. The essential oil has good insect repellant properties.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
- It has a stimulating effect on the mind while its antiseptic properties are helpful to prevent viral infections.
The oil is useful for treating rheumatoid arthritis and although not used in skin care, has a positive effect on skin sores and ulcers.
- A very small amount of clove oil can be applied to the affected area in cases of toothache.
- It has analgesic, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, carminative, stomachic and uterine properties.
Clove essential oil is very potent and care should be taken when using it as it can irritate the skin.
It should rather be avoided during pregnancy.
The oil made from the bud is less irritating than clove leaf or stem oil.
Do not use any of the clove essential oils in a bath since it may irritate mucus membranes.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.