Ginseng (man's root)
This page contains information onand how ginseng it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as weakness, fatigue, impotence, declining stamina and concentration, as well as boosting the immune system.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Man root, root of immortality, Tartar root and life root.
American ginseng refers to Panax quinquefolius.
It is a perennial geophyte with a short rhizome attached to a fleshy root and has a single stem that emerge every year, with compound leaves and a single cluster of small white flowers that develop into bright red fruit.
The fresh or dried root is used.
It is a sweet tonic herb that both stimulates and relaxes the nervous system and encourage the secretion of hormones, improves stamina, lowers blood sugar as well as cholesterol levels and increases resistance to disease.
It contains at least 18 triterpenoid saponins, called ginsenosides or panaxosides and they are glycosides of oleanolic acid, 20-S-protopanaxdiol, ginseng polysaccharides (panaxans), pectin, free sugar, vitamins B1, B2, B12, nicotinic acid, pantothenic acid, biotin, choline, fats, minerals and polyacetylenes.
- Internal use
- It is used internally for debility associated with old age and illness.
- Studies have shown that it improves mood, physical and intellectual performance and other metabolic parameters.
- Furthermore, ginseng is used for lack of appetite, stress, insomnia, chronic illness.
- It is believed to be a powerful adaptogenic aphrodisiac that will affect any system in the body that is out of balance. In Chinese medicine it is used to quickly restore homeostasis (balance) reducing the effect of aging and enhance physical, sexual and mental performance whilst increasing energy and resistance to the harmful effect of stress - and for these reasons it is often used to help men with impotence and sexual problems, and is a good general tonic.
- Ginseng is reported to possess hormone-like and cholesterol-lowering effects, promote vasodilatation, and also act as an anxiolytic as well as antidepressant.
- Some studies have ginseng extracts and ginsenosides to be effective in stimulating learning, memory, and physical capabilities as well as supporting radioprotection, providing resistance to infection and having excellent antioxidant and anti-fatigue effects.
- It is also used to enhance energy metabolism and reducing cholesterol and triglycerides while elevating HDL levels.
- External use
- Ginseng is used in cosmetics for its rejuvenating properties.
- The administration of Ginseng has been clearly associated with obvious improvements in the general metabolism. The herb has a beneficial effect on circulation and the plant regulates the tone of the smooth muscles of the blood vessels.
- There are a very large number of studies which show the action of Ginseng on specific body functions; its stimulating effect on the immune system has been described and also the way it stimulates protein synthesis and inhibits proteic enzymatic degradation in the fibroblasts.
- The plant is responsiblefor increasing phospholipid synthesis in the blood, inhibiting ATPase in the brain and many other effects.
- It has also been shown that Ginseng has a strong anti-radical effect, which is more considerable in derivatives of protapanaxatriol than in other fractions of the plant.
- This vast amount of properties give Ginseng an almost unlimited use in cosmetics. Its activity makes it useful in nourishing creams, in treating wrinkled and aged skin and in all cosmetic products used to retard the onset of age.
- In body milks and bath products, Ginseng acts by optimizing the cutaneous metabolism of the whole body and in capillary products, Ginseng may be used in treatment products for weak hair and lotions for preventing hair loss as it stimulates growth and gives strength.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
May worsen the side effects of stimulants such as coffee, and should best be avoided when consuming alcohol.
Not normally used by pregnant women and is not indicated for use by young children, people suffering from depression, high blood pressure, anxiety or any acute inflammatory disease.
Excess may cause headaches, restlessness, high blood pressure and nausea.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Cellulite gel
- Fighting cellulite is easy with this herbal cellulite gel. It contains a patented extract of Bayberry (Myriceline) and nine other plant extracts and essential oils. The gel will help to get rid of cellulite (which has been clinically proven) and will also help to prevent cellulite from forming. So now it is easy to get your soft body contours back again.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Olive leaf extract capsules
- This natural detoxifier helps with a variety of ailments and people with chronic fatigue syndrome, infections, glandular fever (Epstein Barr), and even candida and herpes have found it of value. Olive leaf extract helps to fight bacteria, viruses, retroviruses, and protozoa and yeast strains. Apart from fighting all of these problems it also helps to improve kidney function and fights free radicals.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.