This page contains information on green tea and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as asthma, cancer and periodontal disease.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
It is a large shrub with white flowers and is indigenous to Asia and China, but commercially grown in Africa, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Indonesia.
The young leaves and buds are normally used.
The same plant is used to produce green, black and oolong tea. When green tea is made the leaves are rapidly dried, while black tea is first fermented and then dried and oolong tea is only partly fermented before drying.
The tannins interact with proteins and are astringent and also have antioxidant activity. One of the polyphenols in green tea -
epigallocatechin galate (EGCC) is thought to be 200 times more powerful than vitamin E for neutralizing free radicals. It contains caffeine as well as triterpene saponins, carotenoids and non-protein amino acids (theanine, 2-amino-6-ethylamidoadipinic acid).
- Internal use
- The theophylline found in green tea relaxes the smooth muscles supporting the bronchial tubes and this can therefore reduce the severity of an asthma attack.
- The polyphenols have shown cancer protecting properties, which is thought to be attributed to blocking cancer causing compounds. The catechin, on the other hand, provides some form of protection when cancer radiation treatment is used.
- It furthermore has a protective effect on the liver and is also useful for people suffering from diabetes.
- When drinking green tea, it helps to prevent the formation of plaque on the teeth, which in turn helps to control periodontal disease.
- In some studies green tea has shown good results in fighting the flu virus. The antioxidant effect it has helps to keep wrinkles at bay by neutralizing free radicals.
- External use
- Green tea is often included in anti-aging skincare products for the antioxidant properties contained in the herb.
- It has three major benefits – that being a powerful antioxidant and thereby reducing free radical damage in the skin, a potent anti-inflammatory agent thereby reducing inflammation in the skin, and most importantly having a inhibitory action on collagenase – an enzymatic action in the skin where the collagen is broken down, resulting in more firm and elastic skin.
- The flavonoids and catechols in green tea provide it with vitamin P properties and the tannins in its chemical composition give it astringent properties, whereas the polyphenolic compounds also act as an astringent, but also protecting the skin, and later bring about vasoconstriction, reducing inflammation in the affected area and finally cell regeneration is caused as well as a wound healing activity.
- In hair care it can be used with great success to improve the gloss and shine of the hair as well as the tensile strength.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
When pregnant or nursing only limited amounts of green tea should be used, and it can also interfere with MAO inhibitors and blood thinning medication.
It should not be consumed together with other medication, as it may interfere with the absorption of such medicine.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.