Ivy (English ivy)
This page contains information on ivy and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as coughs, spastic bronchitis, chronic catarrh of the respiratory tract and for increasing circulation. It is also used for toxic water retentive problems such as cellulite.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Ivy is a well-known creeper, which clings to surfaces by its adventitious roots. It
has yellow-green flowers, which bloom from August to October and are followed by berries.
The leaves and woody stems can be used.
It has a nauseating taste and is bitter, while the leaves smell quite pleasant and are used for their antibacterial
properties. It lowers fever, is expectorant, constricts veins and relaxes spasms.
It contains bidesmosidic saponins of oleanolic acid, hederagenin and bayogenin (hederasaponins), phenolics and polyacetylenes (falcarinone and 11-dehydrofalcarinol).
- Internal use
- Ivy is used internally for gout, rheumatic pain, whooping cough and bronchitis.
- External use
- Extracts of the wood are mostly used in cosmetics and for external use, and for treating burns, warts, impetigo, skin eruptions, neuralgia, swollen joints, toothache and cellulite.
- Ivy has topical anti-fungal, anthelmintic, molluscicidal, anti-mutagenic, as well as cellulite control properties.
- Topical applications of ivy-based products are often used in anti-cellulite and weight loss preparations.
- It has emollient and itch-relieving properties, as well as anti-inflammatory and pain killing actions - provided by the saponins and flavonoids.
- Its other major topical action is that of a circulatory compound, which helps other ingredients to be absorbed by the skin, as well as assisting with the removal of waste products from the skin.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
Excess internal use can destroy red blood cells and causes irritability, diarrhea and vomiting.
The internal use of this herb is best left to qualified medical practitioners only.
Fresh plant material can be an allergen and may irritate the skin.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.