Although this herb is mostly used to help with infertility, erectile dysfunction as well as increasing sexual activity and increasing sexual desire, it has far more to offer – and interesting research has looked at the effect that Maca has on menopausal women and reducing high blood pressure.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you.
For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Maca grows at high altitudes in the Andes is inhospitable regions in intense sunlight, violent winds and below freezing weather and has scalloped leaves which lie close to the ground and it produces small, self-fertile, off-white flowers and the root resembles a small pear in both size and shape and is up to 8cm in diameter.
The leaves of the Lepidium meyenii are used in herbal medicine but it is the root that is most used and has the most beneficial properties.
The Peruvian people have used Maca root for many centuries - before the time of the Incas – who restricted its use to royalty only. The conquering Spaniards quickly became aware of this plant's value and collected tribute in the form of Maca roots which they then exported to Spain.
Maca was used as an energy enhancer, increasing male potency or improving other hormonal function.
Maca contains fatty acids such as linolenic, palmitic and oleic acids and is rich in sterols and has a high mineral content. It also is rich in essential amino acids, iodine and iron as well as alkaloids, tannin and saponins.
It is an adaptogenic herb with strong aphrodisiac properties and is also used for infertility as well as a general tonic.
Research has also looked at the herb for treating high blood pressure as well as diabetes and some interesting data came to light.
- Internal use
- Maca root is used extensively for its aphrodisiac properties and has an energizing effect - increasing energy, stamina and endurance in athletes as well as increasing mental clarity. In animal studies it also showed that it had a positive effect in the production of sperm as well as normalizing the prostate.
- In a human study it showed that Maca increased the volume of semen per ejaculation.
- In another animal study it showed anti-depressant properties as well as enhancing memory and learning capabilities.
- It is used in treating male impotence and erectile dysfunction, as well as assisting with menstrual irregularities and female hormonal imbalances including menopause.
- Furthermore it is used to reduce blood pressure and contains glucosinolates and isothiocyanates, which have been shown to exhibit anti-carcinogenic effects by blocking the formation of endogenous or exogenous carcinogens and for this reason it is also used in the treatment of cancer.
- The plant is also used to cure infertility, although extensive research still needs to be done, and this property is ascribed to the glucosinolates found in the root while it is the aromatic isothiocyanates, especially p-methoxybenzyl isothiocyanate, which contains the aphrodisiac properties. One animal study also showed promise that Maca could be useful in treating male infertility.
- External use
- Use of essential oil
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.