This page contains information on olive leaf and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as chronic fatigue, heart disease, high blood pressure, herpes and yeast infections. It also is used to help heal wounds.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Olea europa (O. europaea)
Hippocrates, the ancient Greek physician prescribed olive oil for ulcers and other ailments, yet it was only in the 1900 that the bitter compound - oleuropein - was isolated from the leaf.
The olive tree is a rugged evergreen tree with gray fissured bark and leathery leaves.
The leaf is the main focus in herbal medicine, but the fruit oil - olive oil - is a very important commercial product.
It is an antiseptic astringent herb that lowers fever and blood pressure, improves kidney function and has a calming effect.
The leaves contain secoiridoids - including oleuropein, as well as ligustroside and oleacein. It further contains triterpenoids (oleanolic acid and uvaol), sterols, flavonoids (chrysoeriol, apigenin and luteolin glycosides) and various other phenolic acids.
- Internal use
- It is used for a variety of ailments and it is well known that the oleuropein lowers blood pressure by increasing coronary flow. A recent study has also shown that oleacein inhibits the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). The powerful antioxidant effect of olive leaf extract also protect the heart and circulatory system from free radical damage.
- Olive leaf extract is very beneficial for treating conditions caused by viruses, retrovirus, bacteria, as well as protozoa.
- It interferes with the critical amino acid production of viruses and may inactivate the virus by virus budding or assembly. It can also penetrate the cells and stop viral replication.
- It furthermore is effective against antibiotic-resistant bacteria, fungi and yeast strains and stops the production of micro-toxins, which contribute to chronic fatigue.
- People with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have reported a radical improvement when taking olive leaf extract internally and report more energy and a better sense of wellbeing.
- Olive leaf extract further improves candida infections and the resultant vaginal discharge, psoriasis, PMS, weight problems, headaches and all other symptoms that coincide with yeast infections.
- People struggling with the Epstein Barr virus have also reported dramatic improvement.
- The bark is sometimes used to treat colic.
- External use
- Olive leaf extracts can have a number of applications in cosmetics: first of all, from their traditional use as a cicatrizing agent, they can be incorporated into a formulation for skin damage either by UV radiation or for assisting with wound healing.
- This activity is explained by the presence of flavonoids and oleanolic acid, which stimulate the components of the connective tissue and regularize the tissue - thereby boosting the health of the skin.
- The secoiridoid derivatives (oleuropeoside) in olive leaves are responsible for the vaso-dilating and relaxing properties of their extracts.
- In cosmetics this property may be used in rubefacient preparations and products for sport. Unlike Capsicum, which acts through direct stimulation of the nerve ends, olive leaf extracts act directly on the muscle, which then causes an increase in the blood irrigation.
- Use of essential oil
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.