This page contains information on bitter orange (Seville) and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as skin elasticity, digestive problems and prolapsed anus and uterus.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Bitter orange. Neroli oil is produced from the flowers and Petitgrain oil from the leaves and twigs.
The Seville orange tree has ovate leaves with fragrant white blossoms, followed by the oranges, which have an aromatic rind and an acidic inside.
The leaves, stems, flowers, fruits and peel are used.
It is a bitter, diuretic herb with aromatic, expectorant, carminative and diuretic properties, which is helpful to lower blood pressure and improve digestion. The peel has choleretic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal activity. Its anti-hyper cholesterolemic property helps to prevent increased cholesterol levels.
- Internal use
- Bitter orange is used internally to treat heartburn as well as flatulent indigestion and diarrhea.
- The peel can be used to boost the appetite and for dyspeptic complaints.
- The unripe fruit is used in Chinese medicine (zhi shi) for flatulence and bloating.
- External use
- The non-bitter flavonoids contained in the peel have good venotonic properties, and are used in cosmetics to prevent capillary fragility.
- In cosmetics, bitter orange extract is included in many cellulite
treatments, where it acts by regularizing the situation in the affected area and stimulating
cutaneous tone (skin tone).
- It is used externally in aromatherapy and different parts of the tree are used to extract the oil, as these contain different properties
- Neroli essential oil is obtained from the flowers.
- Petitgrain essential oil is extracted from the foliage and twigs.
- Bergamot essential oil is extracted from the peel.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
- Neroli (flower oil)
- Neroli essential oil will calm and lift the spirits, fighting anxiety, depression and shock.
- It is great to relieve muscle spasms and diarrhea. It is also used as an aphrodisiac and assists in premenstrual tension.
- On the skin it is most useful in treating broken capillaries and veins under the skin's surface, improving elasticity, while stimulating cellular activity and new cell growth.
- It has antidepressant, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, aphrodisiac, bactericide, carminative, cordial, cytophylactic, deodorant, digestive, emollient, sedative and tonic properties.
- Petitgrain (leaves and twig oil)
- Petitgrain essential oil will help to calm anger and reduce panic. It has a relaxing effect on the nervous system and helps to calm a racing heart and relax muscles.
- On the skin it has a toning effect and helps to clear pimples and skin blemishes.
- It has antidepressant, antispasmodic, deodorant and sedative properties.
- Bergamot (peel oil)
- Bergamot essential oil is great to help with depression, SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder) or a general feeling of being just a bit off, lacking in self-confidence or feeling shy. It also has superb antiseptic qualities that are useful for skin complaints, such as acne, oily skin conditions, eczema and psoriasis and can also be used on cold sores, chicken pox and wounds.
- It has a powerful effect on stimulating the liver, stomach and spleen and has a superb antiseptic effect on urinary tract infections and inflammations, such as cystitis.
- The therapeutic properties of bergamot oil include analgesic, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-spasmodic, stomachic, calmative, cicatrisant, deodorant, digestive, febrifuge, vermifuge and vulnerary.
Bergamot oil can cause burns when used on a sensitive skin which is then exposed to sunlight, as the high content of bergaptene can cause photo-toxicity. It is advisable to keep out of the sun if this oil is used on the skin.
Petitgrain and neroli essential oil can be very relaxing, so take care when a clear head is needed.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Apple cider vinegar (liquid) with Centella asiatica
- The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are combined with the therapeutic properties of Centella asiatica. This old folk remedy is still used with great effect by thousands of people daily.
- Digest capsules
- If your digestive system is under-par and you struggle with constipation or you simply need to boost the health of your digestive system then this capsule is for you. Fenugreek is a general digestive tonic and psyllium is a magical bulking agent that will help proper bowel movements, without using a laxative.
- Urinary and bladder health capsules
- Using an all natural approach, our capsules will help the discomfort and burning urine sensation of urinary tract infection and help clear up foul smelling urine. We combined cranberry, dandelion, uva ursi and vitamin C in a single capsule to effectively fight bladder infections and to stop the burning sensation when urinating.
- Tri- Mushroom blend capsules
- If you need an immune system boost then have a look at our combination of maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These mushrooms have showed to be a great help in boosting the immune system – and form a good nutritional supplement support for HIV/Aids patients and people receiving chemotherapy. Any person with even a slightly compromised immune system may benefit from this supplement.
- Sexual supplement (previously known as Vuka Nkuzi)
- Men normally don’t admit when they have a declining libido although it is a most common problem. We combine in this supplement seven different natural ingredients to boost sexual health – without any side effects often experienced with such medication. After more than a decade, and thousands of regular Vuka Nkuzi clients we still offer this well priced supplement to boost the libido.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.