Rosa rubiginosa as well as R. canina and R. laevigata
This page contains information on rosehip and how it is used as a herb in alternative herbal treatments to treat ailments and problems, such as colds, flu and gastritis. It is used for fighting wrinkles and lines and as a remedy for sun damaged skin and to reduce scars.
Please note that we are not advocating that people stop using their normal medication, but would like to make people aware that some alternative therapies can be very effective to help treat problems and create a healthier, younger and more vital you. For more information on our range of products, please click here.
Although we believe in the therapeutic and healing properties of herbs, care must be taken in the use thereof, as they are powerful compounds.
Genus and specie
Rosa rubiginosa as well as R. canina and R. laevigata
Rosa rubiginosa is also known as Rosa eglanteria, sweet briar, as well as eglantine, while Rosa canina is known as god rose and Rosa laevigata as Cherokee rose.
It is a deciduous scrub with pale to pink flowers followed by scarlet round to ovoid hips (the fruit).
The ripe fruits (rose hips) are used and a superior oil is extracted from the Rosa rubiginosa fruit.
The Rosa canina fruit (rose hips) have irritant hairs that must be removed before use.
The ripe fruits are astringent and acidic and contain flavonoids, tannins, carotenoids and volatile oil.
- Internal use
- The fruits of Rosa canina are used for colds, influenza, scurvy, gastritis and to control diarrhea, while the fruits from Rosa laevigata are used to treat urinary dysfunction, infertility, chronic diarrhea and to regulate kidney function.
- External use
- The oil extracted from Rosa rubiginosa has excellent tissue regeneration properties and helps to reduce scars (trauma and surgical), as well as reducing wrinkles - see essential oil use below.
- Apart from the moisturizing, soothing and softening effect that it has, it furthermore contains polyunsaturated fatty acids (vitamin F) also known as essential fatty acids (EFA), and when they are absorbed through the skin, they convert to prostaglandins (PGE), which are involved in cellular membrane and tissue regeneration.
- Rosehip oil brings about skin regeneration and wound healing. It contains trans-retinoic acid, which is responsible for skin rejuvenation and quickens healing. It repairs skin subjected to excessive sunlight and resultant photo aging.
- The linoleic and linolenic acids in rosehip has also been shown to reduce pigmentation of the skin and when used regularly it has been shown to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Aromatherapy and essential oil use
- Although rose hip oil is not strictly an essential or volatile oil, it is normally classified as an essential oil, as it is far more than just a vegetable carrier oil into which essential oils are normally mixed.
- Rosehip oil does not need to be diluted before use on the skin as most essential oils need to be, and has some very positive effects on the health of the skin.
- It has some great rejuvenating properties and is helpful with fighting sun damage to the skin. It is high in GLA, helping to reduce the signs of ageing, especially the fine lines around the eyes (crows' feet) and lines around the mouth, fighting the drying effects of the sun and climate, as well as assisting with attenuating both accidental and surgical scars.
- It helps the skin heal and regenerate, preventing the formation of ugly keloid scar tissue (thickening of the skin when forming scar tissue) and is helpful in healing burns, scars and stretch marks.
- Healing cream
- To assist in wound healing while soothing skin complaints – such as eczema and psoriasis, acne and piles and moisturizing and protecting the skin. This product has shown its effectiveness over a wide range of problems and judging from sales over more than a decade – it is the trusted healing cream to help with all mishaps, allergic reactions, irritated, burning, itchy and uncomfortable skin conditions.
- Face wash
- This face wash will properly clean your face and remove all impurities and environmental pollutants, without drying the skin. It contains eight herbal extracts to help promote a clear, vital and healthy complexion and a younger looking skin.
- Moisturizing day cream
- This day cream is formulated to help fight the signs of aging on various fronts. It helps to reduce free radical damage which, if left unchecked, leads to premature aging. The herbal extracts help to promote cell rejuvenation and regeneration and provide moisture and hydration to the skin.
- Nourishing night cream
- This nourishing night cream penetrates the skin extremely well and does not make the skin feel oily. It contains a host of herbal extracts to help in the fight against premature aging and has added vitamin E as well. Apart from the moisturizing effect and the anti-aging properties it also softens and smoothes the skin.
- Eye gel
- An effective refreshing eye gel to help reduce puffiness and dark rings around the eyes, while fighting wrinkles and lines. This is a very clever combination of herbal extracts and the base formula has its roots in a clinically proven formula.
- Mud face mask
- With this skin treatment product we combined a special selection of herbs in a base of thermal mud with oligoelements. This recommended weekly treatment will boost circulation to the skin, help to fight wrinkles and lines, improve firmness while at the same time improving suppleness and elasticity of the skin.
- Shampoo with rosemary extract + 7 other herbals
- Our shampoo is in a class of its own – and granted – it is far more expensive than cheap supermarket shampoos, but no other shampoo has the active ingredients we have in our shampoo. The rosemary will boost the health of the hair and scalp, while the other seven herbal extracts will help strengthen the hair and make it shine, increase the volume and make it manageable.
- Rosemary hair treatment conditioner
- We have found that this hair conditioner should really be used as a conditioning treatment. This then removes the need to condition the hair every time you wash – and can be used once a month. It is a superb hair tonic and helps in the control of sebum secretion of the scalp. Although not formulated for dandruff – the ingredients will assist with this as well, while supporting the health of the scalp.
- Hand and body lotion
- When formulating this hand and body lotion we created a rich nourishing, protecting and reviving lotion, which will not leave the skin oily or tacky, but will create a well moisturized, hydrated and supple skin. After applying this lotion it will quickly be absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky soft, smooth and well moisturized.
- Stretch mark gel
- Although nothing can remove already formed stretch marks (only surgery can do that) – thousands of satisfied clients confirm that this gel improves the appearance of old stretch marks. The gel will help in PREVENTING stretch marks (a 92% success rate) and is used with great success by expectant mothers and body builders who may form marks when bulking-up. The formula of this gel is based on clinical studies done in France, to which we added other herbal extracts.
- Jojoba oil
- This liquid golden ester not only moisturizes and penetrates the skin but also helps to fight wrinkles and lines while promoting a clear and unblemished skin. Jojoba does not clog the pores but helps to restore skin elasticity and smoothness. It will leave the skin supple and velvety soft without any oiliness and can be used neat on the skin.
- Almond oil
- This light and deeply moisturizing oil has a softening effect on the skin and can be used on the face and body. Almond oil has excellent emollient properties and helps to balance water and moisture loss in the skin. It can be used neat on the skin and also makes an excellent massage base.